US Politics Thread

I actually think Harris would by default expose the deep racism and misogyny inherent to Trump and the MAGA party—they wouldn’t be able to stop it from consuming the campaign, as we are even seeing with J.D. Vance’s wife right now.

And she is far, far smarter than Trump, Vance, and most of the MAGA politicians at the forefront of that campaign, so would also highlight the idiocy and chaos of the “movement” at pretty much every point without even really trying.

I think Whitmer would also be a great pick from a competence standpoint, but I am not sure she will disrupt the Trump campaign in the same way.

I am still to be convinced by Newsom, if I am honest, but I should probably not go in to my reasons right now.

Otherwise, as usual, you and I generally agree on the ramifications of this decision.

All of that said, I think I’ll just go for that nap I mentioned before I go down the rabbit hole with other posters actually sharing very questionable opinions! ;-)

I think it’s a good observation, they won’t be able to stop the rabid idiots on their benches from talking about her being a black woman and saying unsavoury things. I guess it comes down to whether that puts off more people voting GOP than there are people who are unenthusiastic about Harris on the blue side. Which of these groups is bigger… hard to predict how it will unfold.

And Newsom is a lot more of a divisive firebrand type so it might speak to me but perhaps he’s not the cool collected leadership that the US needs at the moment.

I think there are better, more popular potential future presidents out there than Harris - Mark Kelly for example - the question is whether the fight to crown one of them would do more harm than good and I genuinely won’t pretend to know the answer to that. I hope there’s a team of data scientists doing a tonne of scenario analyses for the Dems behind the scenes.

Behave, i never said any of that.
I'd rather her than Trump obviously but she won't win.
Not only is she a women, she's got the wrong colour skin in the US, she hasn't got a chance.
Does the name Barack Obama mean anything to you? For what it's worth, I agree with you in that she hasn't much chance, but it's because the horse has already bolted. I think it's a slim chance she wins.

Quite possibly.

He instructed her to speak to his donors earlier this week. It could all have been pre planned with the big hitters ringing up everyone to unite behind her.

Thanks.
It's just that I heard something earlier today that said Biden was mightily pissed off at being overlooked for Obama and Clinton, so allowing him to publicly endorse the runner makes a bit of sense in a negotiation to get him to withdraw. Although, from what I understand on here, it's a bit too late for anyone else really anyway.

For what it's worth, I don't think she is the candidate to beat Trump.

I don't have any particular horse in the race (though I can't stand Trump!). Question; would Harris have more of a chance of stopping Trump than Biden did? Is it over simplistic to assume she'll get a lot of the black vote? And also, votes from people who think a younger president would be good for America's perception in the rest of the world?

Apparently can't use the campaign funds if Harris isn't on the ticket, imaging having a VP that nobody seems to want to take over ?
Who is this “nobody”?

In some surveys she polls better than Trump, even when including Biden.

And democrats seem to be rallying behind her as we speak.

Last edited:
A Newsom/Widmer ticket in 2028 I reckon.
Wonder who will run alongside Harris this time though.
That’s a strong shout for 2032–excepting that a lot can change in four years, of course—given if Harris were to win this election, barring anything crazy over the next four years, she’d very likely be top of the ticket in 2028.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.