US Politics Thread

If I have posted this in the wrong thread I apologise but I wondered about this photoshopping/AIing stuff.

If someone publishes a picture of you with someone else that has been doctored by including someone who was not with you at the time but it could cause you problems, similar I guess to Kamala Harris appearing to be with Epstein(?), could you sue the publication/publisher/individual who posted that photo? Would it be considered libel? Surely you just can't go around willy nilly altering photos to put people in a bad light?
Or am I just being naive?
If it is a major media outlet that distributes the verifiably edited or generated photo/video without journalistic scrutiny, then, yes, you could likely sue.

But if it is merely being distributed via social media by non-media users, especially on Twxttxr, then it is very difficult to litigate.

In many ways Elon Musk has based his entire persona on that unfortunate reality, using Twxttxr as a platform to say whatever he wants (and instigate his followers to act on his behalf), with “plausible deniability” as merely exercising his free speech on a decentralised social network (even though neither are really true most of the time).

The situation is made worse by there being very few actual laws on the books (in the US, UK, or even the EU, though the continent is in the process of attempting to pass regulations as we speak, so they are well ahead of us in that regard) that specifically pertain to highly realistic AI alteration or generation.

Many, many experts and commentators have said that this is a recipe for chaos in every sphere of human endeavour, but particularly the political and economic realms.

And we have already begun to see that mayhem take shape.

That's a nice thought but good luck finding any Trump policy commitments.
Just have to look past Trump’s blathering and vague campaign platform to the ‘2025 Presidential Transition Plan’ (aka Project 2025) to learn what the MAGA apparatus actually plan to do if they regain the presidency. Trump, in many ways, is merely a demented figurehead for the Christian white nationalist movement that seeks to use him to move the US to a theocratic oligarchy.

Eccles this shitstorm has only just started, when the election fervour meets its inevitable crescendo the blurred line behind truth and lies will be even more blurred than this.

This isn't an election based on policies it's an election based solely and purely on cults, whatever cult you align yourself to is the TRUTH you'll believe.
These are the days I am pleased to be approaching the end of my life rather than the beginning of the adventure(?). I despair and worry for the world on these days.

Don't worry it will be a while before I 'shuffle off this mortal coil', I'm not thinking of departing until City have done at least 10 in a row!!! :-)
Sorry to disappoint anyone. *rofl*

If it is a major media outlet that distributes the verifiably edited or generated photo/video without journalistic scrutiny, then, yes, you could likely sue.

But if it is merely being distributed via social media by non-media users, especially on Twxttxr, then it is very difficult to litigate.

In many ways Elon Musk has based his entire persona on that unfortunate reality, using Twxttxr as a platform to say whatever he wants (and instigate his followers to act on his behalf), with “plausible deniability” as merely exercising his free speech on a decentralised social network (even though neither are really true most of the time).

The situation is made worse by there being very few actual laws on the books (in the US, UK, or even the EU, though the continent is in the process of attempting to pass regulations as we speak, so they are well ahead of us in that regard) that specifically pertain to highly realistic AI alteration or generation.

Many, many experts and commentators have said that this is a recipe for chaos in every sphere of human endeavour, but particularly the political and economic realms.

And we have already begun to see that mayhem take shape.
Thank you @SebastianBlue that is the thing that worries/concerns me. I like to think that I would not be misled by these 'mockups' but they are so good nowadays. :-( :-)

If I have posted this in the wrong thread I apologise but I wondered about this photoshopping/AIing stuff.

If someone publishes a picture of you with someone else that has been doctored by including someone who was not with you at the time but it could cause you problems, similar I guess to Kamala Harris appearing to be with Epstein(?), could you sue the publication/publisher/individual who posted that photo? Would it be considered libel? Surely you just can't go around willy nilly altering photos to put people in a bad light?
Or am I just being naive?
Yes you can. But lots of people who do this do it knowing they can be sued and lose. Yet they are happy to pay the judgment. Because their goal is to thwart the victim's chance politically. Which money can't really buy.

These are the days I am pleased to be approaching the end of my life rather than the beginning of the adventure(?). I despair and worry for the world on these days.

Don't worry it will be a while before I 'shuffle off this mortal coil', I'm not thinking of departing until City have done at least 10 in a row!!! :-)
Sorry to disappoint anyone. *rofl*

Don't you even joke about that :)

Yes you can. But lots of people who do this do it knowing they can be sued and lose. Yet they are happy to pay the judgment. Because their goal is to thwart the victim's chance politically. Which money can't really buy.
Plus I guess by the time the case has come to court the lie has been perpetuated so that a lot of people believe it! As I read the answers, more concerns come rolling in. :-( :-)

Just have to look past Trump’s blathering and vague campaign platform to the ‘2025 Presidential Transition Plan’ (aka Project 2025) to learn what the MAGA apparatus actually plan to do if they regain the presidency. Trump, in many ways, is merely a demented figurehead for the Christian white nationalist movement that seeks to use him to move the US to a theocratic oligarchy.
Lol

Plus I guess by the time the case has come to court the lie has been perpetuated so that a lot of people believe it! As I read the answers, more concerns come rolling in. :-( :-)
The old line widely attributed to Mark Twain (though, ironically, he may not have been the originator) certainly rings true in the modern era of instant global communication:

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”​

Harris makes it interesting but the USA should really get back, as should the UK, to concentrating on policies rather than personalities.
The last election in which looks didn't matter with either candidate was probably LBJ v. Goldwater.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.