US Politics Thread

Surprised that Netanyahu was allowed to speak in the US Congress. The USA is unwilling to sanction Israel, well, lobbying groups are playing a role. But the USA really invited Netanyahu to give a speech. This is truly shocking, considering that the United States is a country that places great emphasis on human rights.
Political move by the speaker of the house. He invited him, not Biden.

Down wiv da kids, innit, KS!
The funny thing is I can’t hear any music any more so my knowledge is limited to what I read. I used to listen to Taylor Swift when she sang C&W but I’ve never heard her since she pivoted to pop so l have no idea what all the fuss is about. I content myself by listening to old stuff where I can hear a bit and memory fills in the rest.

She has hit the right themes. We look forward, they look back. We aim to help all Americans, they aim to help billionaires. We aim to revive the rights of women, they want to take women back to the dark days. Etc etc.
I am optimistic. If they get people on the ground getting the vote out she can win. 20,000 volunteers have signed up.
I have spoken to a few young voters (via text outreach on behalf of the local Democratic Party, who I have been volunteering with, since I cannot vote) and they have all expressed excitement and a sense of cautious optimism since Biden stepped aside and Harris became the presumptive nominee. They still have some concerns about her foreign policy stance (specifically regarding Israel and the horrific campaign in Gaza and illegal expansion of settlements in the West Bank) but they seem to believe she has the potential to be far more progressive than Biden, and they support a woman being given the chance to lead the country, especially in light of the current attack on women’s rights in the US.

I think the biggest shift I have seen personally has been pure engagement—I had genuinely been struggling to get responses to my outreach over the last few weeks (the debate really put a damper on democratic voter engagement), but when Biden passed the baton to Harris it was like a routing server that no one knew had been down suddenly rebooted and my messages were actually being delivered. My response rate skyrocketed (now 28%, which is ridiculously high), and most people were actually engaging and clicking through on information I was providing. And the volunteer signs up have jumped, as well, particularly with young women.

It will be difficult to maintain this sort of initial momentum which comes with such an abrupt and welcomed shift, but I am hopeful that some of the renewed energy and collective optimism can be sustained through the election and will see Trump and MAGA defeated soundly.

That, of course, largely depends on how Harris traverses the approaching political mine field that comes with a completely new level of scrutiny as the presidential nominee, including of her VP pick. And, unlike the MAGA party, in which members generally tow whatever line Trump and his handlers put out, the Democratic Party is much more fractious, with many competing factions possessing differing aspirations, demands, and expectations (sometimes in extreme disagreement).

But if she can sufficiently unite the Democratic Party behind the basic goals of safeguarding democracy, protecting women’s, worker’s, and minority rights, and instituting economic policy that empowers people that aren’t millionaires or billionaires, it will be a huge accomplishment and I believe will see them win handily in November.

I am hoping that the Democrats can take lessons from the recent coalition of competing groups on the left in France to prevent the far-right from taking power. We shall see.

Last edited:
I think the abortion issue has become more pivotal now. It’s much easier for a women to campaign on this issue than an old man and I think there could be quite a few silent famales who vote Democrat who won’t even tell their spouse where they’ve cast their vote.
Yeah, I think so, too, GDM.

There was a by-election, or whatever they call it over there in January, and a Democrat, running on a choice agenda,gained the seat from the Republicans.

The Democrats see the possibility that Florida could go their way in November, mainly because of the abortion issue.

I have spoken to a few young voters (via text outreach on behalf of the local Democratic Party, who I have been volunteering with, since I cannot vote) and they have all expressed excitement and a sense of cautious optimism since Biden stepped aside and Harris became the presumptive nominee. They still have some concerns about her foreign policy stance (specifically regarding Israel and the horrific campaign in Gaza and illegal expansion of settlements in the West Bank) but they seem to believe she has the potential to be far more progressive than Biden, and they support a woman being given the chance to lead the country, especially in light of the current attack of women’s rights in the US.

I think the biggest shift I have seen personally has been pure engagement—I had genuinely been struggling to get responses to my outreach over the last few weeks (the debate really put a damper on democratic voter engagement), but when Biden passed the baton to Harris it was like a routing server that no one knew had been down suddenly rebooted and my messages were actually being delivered. My response rate skyrocketed (now 28%, which is ridiculously high), and most people were actually engaging and clicking through on information I was providing. And the volunteer signs up have jumped, as well, particularly with young women.

It will be difficult to maintain this sort of initial momentum which comes with such an abrupt and welcomed shift, but I am hopeful that some of the renewed energy and collective optimism can be sustained through the election and will see Trump and MAGA defeated soundly.

That, of course, largely depends on how Harris traverses the approaching political mine field that comes with a completely new level of scrutiny as the presidential nominee, including of her VP pick. And, unlike the MAGA party, in which members generally tow whatever line Trump and his handlers put out, the Democratic Party is much more fractured, with many competing factions possessing differing aspirations, demands, and expectations (some times in extreme disagreement).

But if she can sufficiently unite the Democratic Party behind the basic goals of safeguarding democracy, protecting women’s, worker’s, and minority rights, and instituting economic policy that empowers people that aren’t millionaires or billionaires, it will be a huge accomplishment and I believe will see them win handily in November.
Most encouraging, SB.

I have spoken to a few young voters (via text outreach on behalf of the local Democratic Party, who I have been volunteering with, since I cannot vote) and they have all expressed excitement and a sense of cautious optimism since Biden stepped aside and Harris became the presumptive nominee. They still have some concerns about her foreign policy stance (specifically regarding Israel and the horrific campaign in Gaza and illegal expansion of settlements in the West Bank) but they seem to believe she has the potential to be far more progressive than Biden, and they support a woman being given the chance to lead the country, especially in light of the current attack on women’s rights in the US.

That, of course, largely depends on how Harris traverses the approaching political mine field that comes with a completely new level of scrutiny as the presidential nominee, including of her VP pick. And, unlike the MAGA party, in which members generally tow whatever line Trump and his handlers put out, the Democratic Party is much more fractious, with many competing factions possessing differing aspirations, demands, and expectations (sometimes in extreme disagreement).

I am hoping that the Democrats can take lessons from the recent coalition of competing groups on the left in France to prevent the far-right from taking power. We shall see.
Toe.

Surprised that Netanyahu was allowed to speak in the US Congress. The USA is unwilling to sanction Israel, well, lobbying groups are playing a role. But the USA really invited Netanyahu to give a speech. This is truly shocking, considering that the United States is a country that places great emphasis on human rights.
The United States Congress is all bought by Israeli Lobbyist. Netanyahu dictates to them, not the other way round.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.