US Politics Thread

I have an idea. I'm no military guy. Who knows? Maybe Vance was in grave danger during his four years (probably from being shot by his own unit like Neidermeyer in "Animal House", but anyway).

So let's ask a general what he thinks. Asking experts very often makes sense when you don't know the answer to something.

I read Hillbilly Elegy several years ago. I found it in a charity store and, as a part-time hillbilly, was intrigued by the title. I had no idea who JD Vance was, and he probably wasn't even a politician at that time. It's a well-written book, and the subject matter rings true to my experience of living in neighbouring West Virginia for 10 years. However, I was struck by the fact that he seemed to blame government assistance for trapping people in poverty. That's a contentious statement, but quite a convenient conclusion for someone who has embraced right-wing ideas.

The guy is certainly smart and his escape from an impoverished background is impressive. But that doesn't make him right or a competent politician.
Cheers.

The scholar being interviewed was born and raised near where Vance’s grandparents grew up, which was in Appalachia, whilst Vance’s parents and Vance himself were born elsewhere and by all accounts barely spent time in the area, so I find Vance’s implicit claims of being a man from and of Appalachia very interesting (especially in the context of the supposed insights shared in the book and the sentiments he has since espoused).

I think it is a thought-provoking interview for anyone that has read the book.

I’m guessing quite quickly—
Trump loses badly,
Traditional conservatives, many of whom have come out against Trump, will work actively to get their party back and chuck out the worst like MTG. They won’t want a thrashing in ‘28.
Unless Trump manages to con his way into winning in November, Republicans are going to need a root and branch cull if there is any chance of them getting back in in 2028. They've just got too many batshit crazy nutters, mouth breathers and downright despicable cunts. They are just not a credible political party.

John McCain was a really great person, whose political views represented what the Republican Party was and should be now.

And where did those people calling Obama get their opinion of him from?

A certain racist, orange idiot, who questioned whether he was born in the USA.
Seen that clip a few times, always leaves a tear in the eye. Takes courage to go against the crowd you're trying to win.

Just watching Tim Walz's speech - I really like this bloke already.

They should wipe the floor with Trump in November if there's even an ounce of sense left in American society.

He's such a great public speaker that he's going to upstage Harris quite a bit which they need to manage though, like having a support band who's better than the headliner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.