US Politics Thread

I would also consider the reputational risk to the USA as a whole:

4) Any successful prosecution is effectively an admission of failure at the highest level.

Imagine a Western democratic state being so legislatively incompetent that it allows a demonstrably corruptible criminal to rise to the very top of government whilst simultaneously promoting regime change in other countries for that very same reason?

Electing Trump has set the USA back years in terms of intentional diplomacy. They aren't going to be resetting that clock anytime soon unless Trump is effectively dealt with.

Great point I hadn’t considered.

Maybe. But he’ll need to be alive for that to happen. Don’t forget Nixon was replaced by a Republican — his VP Ford. And paid the price for the pardon in 1976, losing to Carter.

Let’s not forget the Georgia case would be a state charge and he has his ongoing battles in New York. Pretty sure he can only be presidentially pardoned of federal charges? Unless the Governor of Georgia wants to pardon him as well? Don’t know how likely that is.

Let’s not forget the Georgia case would be a state charge and he has his ongoing battles in New York. Pretty sure he can only be presidentially pardoned of federal charges? Unless the Governor of Georgia wants to pardon him as well? Don’t know how likely that is.
The Constitution does not specifically preclude him from running for office nor taking up office if convicted of a state or federal crime. That was left to voters to decide

There is the 14th Amendment, which bars anyone who has "engaged in insurrection or rebellion" or "given aid or comfort" to enemies of the U.S, but as far as I'm ware it has to be voted on in the Senate, and as we saw in both impeachment hearings that would be HIGHLY unlikely.

This is the issue for Trump. Georgia and New York. No presidential pardon in these cases.

It's very difficult to predict. Looks like Georgia will charge him over the summer. And the stolen documents case is possibly less serious but much easier to prove as his own lawyers could end up testifying against him.

Yes, I'm a fool for thinking America is less fucked with a regular old politician than with a literally insane man at its helm.

Sandbox. Over THERE. Hurry before recess ends, wee one.
Yeah right. What a monumental dick. Just because the one you hate is there is no excuse for supporting a dithering old fool who can't remember his own name and can't walk in a straight line. Oh, and who is just as morally bankrupt as the other one. Jog on ya daft ****.

Yeah right. What a monumental dick. Just because the one you hate is there is no excuse for supporting a dithering old fool who can't remember his own name and can't walk in a straight line. Oh, and who is just as morally bankrupt as the other one. Jog on ya daft ****.
Such language! Do you need to stand in the time out corner, you absolute fucking child?

Let’s analyz(s)e the likelihoods here, shall we? Here’s what’s likely: I know more than you. I’m smarter than you. I have a better understanding of the dynamics of US politics than you. I know more about these men than you. I read more than you.

Were I you, I’d assume it, accept it, suck up the condescension you deserve, and move on.

Last edited:
Such language! Do you need to stand in the time out corner, you absolute fucking child?

I know more than you. I’m smarter than you. I have a better understanding of the dynamics of US politics than you. I know more about these men than you. I read more than you.

Accept it, suck up the condescension which you very richly deserve, and move on.
f10623a0930fe2187e2c1fbc1985a2e7.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.