US Politics Thread

It's because it's about the only real political news coming from the US, besides the trump stuff which is like watching a slightly predictable car crash in slow motion.
I'm sorry -- what's that? Golly gee willikers, Batman, we just got finished with a huge budget wrangling session where Biden and moderates won a huge victory while the more extreme ends of both parties were left in the cold. On both sides of the aisle -- Tuberville's brother disowned him; Feinstein is hearing calls for an immediate resignation. There's the Chinese fighter jet close pass; there's the USSC's decison in the the labor union case (8-1). This was just yesterday! Every day large and small there are stories about politics and derivatives thereof.

Where were the lot of you on those stories? Nowhere.

In other words . . . come on. You are chock full of bull fucking shit.

Maybe what you mean is an old man falling down is the only political story you have the time to understand. That I buy. And that’s fine. Just say that then.

Last edited:
Governance has not adequately addressed the displacement of many, many workers due to technological advance. The blue collar laborer who in decades past could look forward to a stable, long-term, well-paying job is now facing unemployment or underemployment on a global scale.

As artificial intelligence advances - more and more jobs will be displaced. Numerous white collar workers will find themselves in the same situation as their blue collar counterparts.

What's to be done?

Putting unnecessary restrictions on the advance of science is a mistake, IMO. AI - however - warrants special consideration - beyond the scope of this forum and of my personal knowledge.

I will say this though - I think that most of the ills of society could be solved or be on the road to solution - if the distribution of wealth were more equitable.

I find it ironic - that technology is on the cusp of being so advanced - that most people need not work at all - free to enjoy a life of luxury and pursuit of whatever interests them - that at this very same time - due to the massive distortion of wealth distribution - this dream of worry-free life seems more distant from reality than it did several hundred thousand years ago when our species first emerged.

It’s weird how obvious some of your solutions seem to be but neo cons and neoliberals are dancing around it. Some of our politicians are trying to convince us that we have too many rights and only if we cut back on say labor rights and other safety will things be better….

I think he might just have a different opinion to you and not agree with you. This is just life thing and you'll probably need to come to terms with it if you hope to interact more successfully.
The tragedy of all this is that (apart from Biden to his credit) you and many others who have probably self radicalised during lockdowns are still playing the game devised by trump to polarise you all and keep him relevant. You've had three years to heal and move on, but you and millions like you are still going in the same circle you've been stuck in since 2020. The safest thing is that this pantomime social media version of politics is a distraction from actual policy and holding politicians on all sides to account.
How the fuck do we move on and heal when Trump is the near-guaranteed nominee of his party, even if incarcerated?

The only reason we're still in this circle, as you call it, is that Trump is still an existential threat to the nation. Forgive me for caring about that. That's kind of important to me.

Having said that, the solution isn't complicated: vote them all out. Every one, at every level. This presumes the electoral process is not garbled to the point that we cannot.

There will be no "both sides" until that task is complete. To disagree is a moral failing.

Couldn't disagree more.

Trump is a fascist criminal.

He will shortly be convicted of State and Federal crimes - but by some bizarre twist of fate will still be eligible for office. And due to the fucked up electoral college system - Trump might conceivably win the presidency in 2024. What a spectacle that will prove - ruling the USA from a prison cell in Georgia!

The Right news media has abandoned fact and is all about ratings and telling its audience what they want to hear. CNN may eventually reach this point - but for me isn't nearly so bad at present.

I'm actually a pretty conservative nutter, truth-be-told. I really like Nixon and still think - apart from his megalomaniac tendencies - that he was a great President on many fronts. I also like George W - mostly - but I think his search for revenge following 911 intimidated the chain of command and that he was fed information he wanted to hear about Iraq. I also fault him for not sufficiently planning post-war recovery for Iraq.

I'm very centrist. Rational. Able to reason. Willing to take on facts in opposition to my beliefs if truth bears them out.

Malg and similar ilk - by way of contrast - are locked into some sort of Biden senile/decrepit/whatever false narrative spewed by the Right. I will not back down from arguing as forcibly as possible against this dangerous lie. There may come a point when Biden is actually impaired while still holding office - and at such time I'll concede that a change in leadership is necessary.

As I've already stated - I sede the argument that there's cause for concern due to Biden's age - he might well die of complications due to age within the next few years. I however completely disagree that Biden is presently showing obvious signs of mental decline or physical infirmity to the extent that it would unduly impair his performance as President.

And @blueinsa - rest assured - I'm voting for Biden. And enthusiastically, whole-heartedly so!
All of this. I voted for Ronald Reagan. And Bush 1. And Mitt Romney.

Getting pretty fucking tired of both-sidesers not being able to get through their thick motherfucking skulls that it is a MORAL IMPERATIVE to vote out authoritarians at EVERY level of government, from President of the USA to fucking Supervisory District Seat #4 of the Menomenee Falls Water District.

I'm sorry -- what's that? Golly gee willikers, Batman, we just got finished with a huge budget wrangling session where Biden and moderates won a huge victory while the more extreme ends of both parties were left in the cold. On both sides of the aisle -- Tuberville's brother disowned him; Feinstein is hearing calls for an immediate resignation. There's the Chinese fighter jet close pass; there's the USSC's decison in the the labor union case (8-1). This was just yesterday! Every day large and small there are stories about politics and derivatives thereof.

Where were the lot of you on those stories? Nowhere.

In other words . . . come on. You are chock full of bull fucking shit.

Maybe what you mean is an old man falling down is the only political story you have the time to understand. That I buy.
No need to apologise.

How the fuck do we move on and heal when Trump is the near-guaranteed nominee of his party, even if incarcerated?

The only reason we're still in this circle, as you call it, is that Trump is still an existential threat to the nation. Forgive me for caring about that. That's kind of important to me.

Having said that, the solution isn't complicated: vote them all out. Every one, at every level. This presumes the electoral process is not garbled to the point that we cannot.

There will be no "both sides" until that task is complete. To disagree is a moral failing.
Fill your boots mate. Carry on by all means but it doesn't appear to be working in terms of the result you are after.
Maybe it's those idiot 'both siders' that are the problem with their ridiculous ideas about getting away from polarised politics? I suppose once everyone bangs their head against the same wall enough times they will all realise that it just gives you a headache.

Fill your boots mate. Carry on by all means but it doesn't appear to be working in terms of the result you are after.
Maybe it's those idiot 'both siders' that are the problem with their ridiculous ideas about getting away from polarised politics? I suppose once everyone bangs their head against the same wall enough times they will all realise that it just gives you a headache.
Both-sidsers see conservatives vs. liberals; anti-boths-sidsers see authoritarians vs. believers in the democratic process.

The latter is NOT dependent on politics. It feels like it is because more conservatives have aligned themselves with authoritarians right NOW, factually-speaking.

So of course we should get away from polarised politics -- boths-sidesers are just desperately, stubbornly and (IMO) inanely wrong about which scale they're using to determine polarisation.

Buckle up for serfdoms….

Not reading the whole case but even walking off the job on strike, there's a responsibility not to cause harm beyond just withdrawing labour. The concrete presumably set hard in the mixer wagon...

On the other hand, the plug riots involved a bit of sabotage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.