US Politics Thread

Edit: long story short McCarthy thought he could lie to everyone and not get caught until he did….

Last edited:
America is so ultra-polarized right now that virtually nothing will shape the political landscape. And yet...

Come November when the current continuing resolution expires, it's virtually certain that the Republicans will be incapable of avoiding a government shutdown. As a result, numerous Americans will find themselves either seriously inconvenienced, or worse, without pay. Surely some subset of those Americans are currently staunch Republicans. As the hypothetical government shutdown drags on, it's got to be the case that some of those staunch Republicans become ever less enamored with their party.

TL/DR - Government shutdown coming in November. The fallout - so far as I can tell- can only hurt Republicans.
They'll just blame the Democrats and Ukraine Ad Nauseum

1696437097878.png

Not sure if I should give him a thumbs up or down.

Kinda strange for me because I always know which side of the fence I'm on!

I don’t want to stretch this too far, but I just spent three days at a conference in Denver with a wide variety of folks from all over the nation, many of whom are red. I was surprised at the number who were frustrated and embarrassed by this recent GOP dysfunction. They’ll be fully cognitively-dissonant when it comes to Trump, but when it comes to GOP congresspeople, they think of them as incompetent Trump coattail hangers-on who are ineffectual and objectionable. Gaetz, and Boebert in particular, have embarrassed them a LOT. I am wondering if they might be more willing to entertain less MAGA-y elected officials to represent them — those with concrete plans to make things better — as long as they get Trump too. So maybe not much of a shift, and still cultish, but a different attitude about those they feel are only levering Trumps popularity and not working for them.

Last edited:
I don’t want to stretch this too far, but I just spent three days at a conference in Denver with a wide variety of folks from all over the nation, many of whom are red. I was surprised at the number who were frustrated and embarrassed by this recent GOP dysfunction. They’ll be fully cognitively-dissonant when it comes to Trump, but when it comes to GOP congresspeople, they think of them as incompetent Trump coattail hangers-on who are ineffectual and objectionable. Gaetz, and Boebert in particular, have embarrassed them a LOT. I am wondering if they might be more willing to entertain less MAGA-y elected officials to represent them — those with concrete plans to make things better — as long as they get Trump too. So maybe not much of a shift, and still cultish, but a different attitude about those they feel are only levering Trumps popularity and not working for them.

I am convinced a lot of the political upper class(especially the GOP)have no idea what is going on. But in my opinion many are deliberately ignorant of what’s going on because the truth is too bleak. I think a bit of it has to do with age since the leadership is full of fossils from a bygone era. Many in the GOP have already been swept away with the changing political winds but it will take a little longer for the Democrats.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.