US Politics Thread

I don’t blame them for not wanting to be forced to vote. But they’re going to be. And they have no idea which way the winds will blow in the next week, the next day or the next hour.

They are scared shitless. But of course they always were.

For the last 15 years or so, I’ve been an occasional lurker at freerepublic.com, one of the original proto-MAGA, Tea Party, right-wing nut job sites. As you can imagine, it’s hilarious and terrifying in equal measure and I don’t recommend you go there.
I took a little look just now and found one of the best quotes I’ve seen there for some time,
“So basically Apple, Amazon, Twitter, Google, and Facebook are trying to turn America into 1984, where they get to play the part of the pigs”
It reminded me of a great tweet I saw today (maybe on here) that said the top 3 things that right wingers always talk about, but have never read are 1984, The First Amendment and the Bible.

That is of no importance to me, it is the over reach of corporate power that i find disturbing.

If they can use that power to ban a President, who knows where the use of said power will end. If they can ban a President what is stopping them banning anyone that disagrees with their corporate stance. It doesn't have to be against the code of conduct it can be just the corporate entity pushing boundaries to see how far their influence on democracy can go.

I am not comfortable with what they have done, because I believe Democracy is far more important than a corporation's desires.
Ironically the corporation was the one upholding democracy when it banned the ****.

I took a little look just now and found one of the best quotes I’ve seen there for some time,
“So basically Apple, Amazon, Twitter, Google, and Facebook are trying to turn America into 1984, where they get to play the part of the pigs”
I laughed, but it did take me a few seconds to realise what was wrong with it.

Neither was Trump this time. It's worth mentioning that Twitter only banned Trump after he failed to be elected and then tried to effectively seize power regardless, basically sending in thugs to attack elected officials doing their job. Obviously the fact that he's still technically president two months after losing is a flaw in their system.
Absolutely spot on, but my concern is not about that

My concern is the growth of corporate power.

What if twitter's CEO gets on to Biden and says we will ban you and your party officials and everyone associated with you unless you give us a a Billion pound tax break. After all as it has been pointed out it is there platform and they don't have to go a reason why they ban you. Same here, it is Ric's platform, he has a code of conduct but doesn't have to give a reason to unleash the banhammer.

I really do think some of you are far too trusting of these corporate entities, after all they exist to make money out of you not be your friend and I do believe it is bad for democracy that corporate power has the ability to influence politicians.

People are intent on making this about Trump, who i have repeatedly said i think is a ****, but it is bigger than that and if they can use their power to silence a President where does it end?

Absolutely spot on, but my concern is not about that

My concern is the growth of corporate power.

What if twitter's CEO gets on to Biden and says we will ban you and your party officials and everyone associated with you unless you give us a a Billion pound tax break. After all as it has been pointed out it is there platform and they don't have to go a reason why they ban you. Same here, it is Ric's platform, he has a code of conduct but doesn't have to give a reason to unleash the banhammer.

I really do think some of you are far too trusting of these corporate entities, after all they exist to make money out of you not be your friend and I do believe it is bad for democracy that corporate power has the ability to influence politicians.

People are intent on making this about Trump, who i have repeatedly said i think is a ****, but it is bigger than that and if they can use their power to silence a President where does it end?

If we're doing "what if", what if Reichsführer Hitler was on Twitter extolling the benefit of death camps?

Or what if Twitter allowed a president to call for attacks on unreconstructed Marxists?
(Oh wait, half his crazies think that's what he was doing.)

Neither was Trump this time. It's worth mentioning that Twitter only banned Trump after he failed to be elected and then tried to effectively seize power regardless, basically sending in thugs to attack elected officials doing their job. Obviously the fact that he's still technically president two months after losing is a flaw in their system.
This is a great post.

If we're doing "what if", what if Reichsführer Hitler was on Twitter extolling the benefit of death camps?

Or what if Twitter allowed a president to call for attacks on unreconstructed Marxists?
Yes what ifs

But this "what if" already has form.

The trust people have in these corporations is worrying. They do not exist for the good of society, they exist to make profit and they will stop at nothing to make profit. If they can use their influence with politicians to make profit they will.

If people are happy to have their content controlled by the likes of Zuckerberg and Dorsey, neither of whom have ever stood to represent peoples views then it is a very slippery slope.

I reiterate, people are making this about Trump, it is not about Trump, it is about Corporate power.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.