US Politics Thread

Fox News contributor THIS MORNING on her Instagram page:

"It's gonna be a big week. Patriots, I hope you're ready".

I mean, seriously... How f*cking irresponsible do you have to be to utter that tripe after what happened on Wednesday?

You’ve proven my argument to a point. Newspapers and television is not independent and hasn’t been for as long as I can remember. My newspaper of choice back in the day was “The Independent” for that reason but last time I looked at it it went down the same route of its competitors. Even the FT has had moments of biased views.

The internet was supposed to give us cat videos and this non-regulated freedom of expression and has to a point, Twitters unilateral action is a step against that and one more toward that editorial approach. The upshot of that will be lefties using Twitter and normal people using Snapchat or similar.

If you want to come and do those things mate (and I know you don’t) then posting it on headstabbingchat.com is going to find a lot of likeminded people encouraging you to do it. But posting it on BM or Twitter will have people telling you to get help. Depriving you of that choice is to fail you.

Moreover we have laws in place about inciting violence and these should be the mechanism deployed not arbitrary bans.

I understand what you mean about an independent body may be influenced (subconsciously even) due to their own political beliefs but at least it allows us a way to identify dangerous individuals and deny them the space to spread their poison and is probably better than the alternatives. Corporate decisions will, after all, be governed by revenue and I imagine being an upcoming chat service you’d bend over backwards to suddenly have Trump on board and his 80m followers.
A fair rejoinder.

From time-to-time I force myself to read Fox news - to see what that brand of Republican is thinking.

It's astonishing to see - on the Fox website - almost no condemnation whatsoever for the mob invasion of the Capitol; even more alarming, Trump's actions are seen as justified. Politicians who are horrified by the President's actions and are calling for his resignation - and failing that, removal from office via the 25th Amendment or via Impeachment - are viewed as evil Democrats and RINOs - unfit for office.

A vast swath of the American populace has been brainwashed into thinking anything whatsoever published in the press - unless it's from Fox or some similarly aligned organization - is not to be trusted. Somehow, there's a vast conspiracy comprised of the courts - many of whose judges were appointed by Trump - election officials - who are mostly Republicans in the swing states - scientists - whom, they believe, exaggerate the risks from COVID-19, global warming, the safety of vaccinations and who do not know what they are talking about - and especially the free press - whom they believe will simply lie to advance an agenda - and any other person/entity not aligning themselves with their beliefs.

So those who think that Trump is done and dusted as a politician - I rather think not. His gigantic base of support remains loyal. Unless Trump lands in jail (he well might, and even from jail he could potentially shape right-leaning politics) or is impeached or is otherwise prevented from running for President in 2024 (yes he said that he would not run - I don't believe this for an instant nor should you), he may well be the Republican nominee in 4-years time... and were he to win office at that future date, Democracy in America might well die.

There’s nothing “contrary” about registering your distrust and also being a coward.

Moral cowardice is refusing to stand up to a definable autocrat because you aren’t getting exactly everything you want from someone else.

I’m glad you aren’t American too — if you were and everyone thought like you, Trump would be inaugurated next week. Not only that, but if you were American, that wouldn’t be a problem for you, because Biden is just as bad and your guy — who supported Biden and agrees with me, by the way — didn’t get the nomination.

You know what’s “just as bad” as Trump? Smug, brainless idealism. Actually not just as bad. But just as smug and brainless.
Thank you for your forthrightness Mr Fog, it is refreshing, being called smug and brainless is a welcome addition to the other wonderful replies i have received for daring have to have an opinion to the contrary.

Thankfully it is not place to stand up to your autocrat, we have enough problems of our own to deal with. However the fascination with American politics persists and my brainless smug idealism remains in place, because a man without ideals is a man without purpose.

So when we got our news from newspapers, did you complain about the moral outrage of editors choosing what stories made the grade?

If I say I want to rape your child, and stab you through the head, and I’m gonna do it, just you wait — what side of the “debate” is that?

And as always the “final solution” in the last paragraph is a totalitarian one. What happens if that “independent body” turns out to be, you know, not so “independent”? At least if I’m pissed off at Twitter I can communicate about a hundred other ways.

I’ve no beef with you but I think these questions are important.
At last you are addressing the issues, rather than the man.

My brainless smug idealism was not so wasted after all, it has got you thinking.

I'm sure others have put this far more eloquently and succinctly than I'm about to, but let's try and ask a couple of simple questions that we, as Blues, can relate to.

1. A couple of years ago, when Raheem was receiving vile abuse on Twitter (including threats of sexual violence to his child), do you think Twitter was correct to ban the individuals involved?

2. If yes to the above, why exactly in a democratic society should politicians be held to a different standard?

Genuinely interested in people's responses, especially those who've argued against Trump's ban.

But they don’t have that power. They have the power to ban users that break their code of conduct which is what Trump did for 4 years. They only relented to public pressure when he tried to actually subvert democracy and incite insurrection.

And by you saying that Trump shouldn’t have been banned as he was elected, you ARE essentially saying that he should be allowed to do whatever he wants.
Come on Sam, you are brighter than this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.