USA Commentators and WC 2018

I’m always amused to be honest when people get a bit precious over dialectical difference.

Precious? Not at all mate, I just don't know what she's talking about when she refers to the interior.
As far as dialect goes, I also wouldn't want to listen to alex ferguson or jose mourinho doing the commentary on a match.

As far as interior goes sans context I’d guess it’s what some refer to as central.

Is anyone else upset - putting it mildly - that the Rae/Wagner partnership was pulled in favor of "superior" announcers for the semi-final England v. Croatia matchup and the subsequent England v. Belgium 3rd place game?

I’ve noticed over the last three weeks that the American commentators use several terms associated with other sports, such as, "double-teaming" and "drawing the foul".

I’ve noticed over the last three weeks that the American commentators use several terms associated with other sports, such as, "double-teaming" and "drawing the foul".
Just so.

Perhaps somewhat related, at least from the standpoint of language:
===
As an American viewer, I've had overcome the American meaning of the following phrases when listening to English commentary:

"Foul on Torez" - American's mean that Torez committed a foul, and thus the foul was "on him," meaning his doing/responsibility - opposite of the meaning in England.

"Torrid" - a torrid performance in American spots is one that is very good, hot, or in the words of Dan Patrick, "En Fuego." Quite opposite of the meaning in England.

"Just about" - e.g., Silva just about kept that one in the field of play. The phrase "just about," isn't used in this context in America - and to my unaccustomed ear seemed to imply that Silva nearly (just about) kept it in the field of play (but ultimately did not and it's out for a throw/goal kick/corner/whatever).
===
It's interesting how language changes over time - a few hundred years ago we were all part of the same nation and presumably few if any language differences/idioms existed. Now, many minor differences abound.

Just so.

Perhaps somewhat related, at least from the standpoint of language:
===
As an American viewer, I've had overcome the American meaning of the following phrases when listening to English commentary:

"Foul on Torez" - American's mean that Torez committed a foul, and thus the foul was "on him," meaning his doing/responsibility - opposite of the meaning in England.

"Torrid" - a torrid performance in American spots is one that is very good, hot, or in the words of Dan Patrick, "En Fuego." Quite opposite of the meaning in England.

"Just about" - e.g., Silva just about kept that one in the field of play. The phrase "just about," isn't used in this context in America - and to my unaccustomed ear seemed to imply that Silva nearly (just about) kept it in the field of play (but ultimately did not and it's out for a throw/goal kick/corner/whatever).
===
It's interesting how language changes over time - a few hundred years ago we were all part of the same nation and presumably few if any language differences/idioms existed. Now, many minor differences abound.
As George Bernard Shaw said, "two peoples divided by a common language." And in America you even pronounce "Bernard" differently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.