Using City's History

Gary James

I've posted this on the main forum instead of history because I'm not certain many people are aware of it, so here goes....

About three years ago Ric and I had a chat about the site which ended with me offering to give stats and history related material I'd researched and gathered over about 25 years to him for publication on the site. Years ago Steve Kay had set up his old stat site (which I'd helped with when he was first talking about setting it up) but sadly, following his death, that was not maintained and, after discussions with some at the club made it clear City weren't ready or able to create a site covering the club's history in this way, Ric and I felt it was right to get the history of the club out there in an authoritative manner with free access.

The Bluemoon history section was revised and relaunched by Ric with my stats/material which he now maintains. This is a fantastic resource showing lineups, goalscorers and so on for every 1st team game in the club's history together with profiles of every 1st team player. The site also includes pen pictures of every City manager and details on City's chairmen plus much more. It really is a great resource and Bluemoon deserves all the credit for presenting and preserving this material for anyone to access.

Having said all of that I'm not certain as many people use it or know it even exists as we'd like, so please spread the word. It's definitely a major plus point that a group of fans have set this up and maintain it.

If you're wondering what the hell I'm talking about then please take some time and have a look here: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/</a> It's well worth exploring and, if nothing else, means you won't need to seek out the Complete Record book if you want to know who appeared at York in 1998-99.

Ric and I have talked in the past about updating the history section with further material, so if it gets used enough and there's enough interest going forward then please let us know what you'd like to see added. Thanks.

Hi Gary, I was a frequent visitor to the old Steve Kay site and found the information invaluable and was sad that it was not maintained after his death.

I am aware that his data along with the recent statistics are now available on Ric's excellent site and have used it on a few occasions.

I hope other Bluemooners find it as interesting as I do.

I for one appreciate the work you and Ric have put into this. I used to use MCFC STATS and was well pissed off when it didn't get updated until i found out he had passed away and then i rightly felt like shit.
I have it saved in my bookmarks and anytime a rag try's to get the better of me, i delve into our history section and give him a double handed volley in return.
Great informative stats, great section and thanks to you both for the work and upkeep.

It's worth outlining here that the early heroes of City's statistical research over the years were Ray Goble, Dennis Chapman and John Maddocks.

When I first started seriously researching City in the mid-80s I contacted all three of them (and others researching the club) and they each helped and advised me but also brought me into their world. I became a life member of the Association of Football Statisticians (sadly outliving the organisation - but I still have my tie!) and used to sit listening to John, Dennis and Ray as they showed me their ledgers and material. I collected my own stats and added material from my research at various libraries, but they had done the groundwork in terms of statistical work. In 1987 Ray published MCFC The Complete Record (updated in 1993) with the support of John & Dennis.

A few years later Steve Kay decided to produce his website and called on each of us to help and we were all delighted to see the material become available, and regularly answered his queries or helped where we could.

Sadly Steve, John and Dennis are no longer with us but Ray is and he still maintains his stats in his original ledgers. In 2005 I asked his permission when I was approached to produce a new MCFC Complete Record and, as always, he was very supportive.

It has to be stressed that we all owe Ray and those who spent many, many hours in the 60s-80s researching the statistical side of the club a massive debt. None of us have ever been employed by the club to perform this work.

I've always been told we have no history! ;)

In all seriousness its great to have all the info easily accessible and for free and I do look through it from time to time. Usually to remind me of how far we've come in the last six years.

I was oblivious that this existed and very pleased such a resource is there.

Thanks for the efforts of every one involved.

The history section is a fantastic database and a great source of info for all things City. I was browsing the history section the other day and noticed the 50 greatest players may be in need of an update. Not a criticism because I know Ric is a busy little beaver, just an observation.

Many thanks for all the hard work put into this site. Being of a certain age I now find many older city memories merging. Most of the time this results in life within a very contented blue haze but occasionally to converse with others I need to do a little work clarifying memories and facts. This is the site I use as my baseline supported by associated books from referenced contributors. Keeps me happy in my little Blue world and occasionally enables me to venture wider. Genuine appreciation to all.

History?

confused_lion_king.gif

Didn't think we had any.

stony said:
The history section is a fantastic database and a great source of info for all things City. I was browsing the history section the other day and noticed the 50 greatest players may be in need of an update. Not a criticism because I know Ric is a busy little beaver, just an observation.

That's probably the most controversial part of the entire Bluemoon main site.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.