Van - cent Kompany?

Wheelsy said:
Now where do we all sit on the Mick-er/My-cah Richards debate?

Micker.

I suppose CSKA Moscow should be 'siska', but I'd feel like a right nob saying anything but 'cee-ess-kay-ay'

Also, AC Mill-an, or AC Mee-lan? Basle: 'bas-ul', or 'barle'? United: 'scum' or 'rags'?

Goater's Shin said:
I suppose CSKA Moscow should be 'siska', but I'd feel like a write nob saying anything but 'cee-ess-kay-ay'

Yep, that sends the twatometer right off the scale

Didsbury Dave said:
Wheelsy said:

It is indeed the elephant in the room.

Personally I'm a My-cah man but I've got a funny feeling I'm wrong.

And you were calling someone else a ponce!

It's definately Mick-ah.

(and it is pie-ay-ya)

Optimus Prime said:
Similarly, the French have adopted 'Parking' and 'Weekend' - do you think they say them with an English accent? No chance.

in fact they do. the 'proper' french pronuciations would be park-an & vee-kon but they pronounce them like we do if with a little gallic tinge.

SWP's back said:
Didsbury Dave said:
It is indeed the elephant in the room.

Personally I'm a My-cah man but I've got a funny feeling I'm wrong.

And you were calling someone else a ponce!

It's definately Mick-ah.

(and it is pie-ay-ya)

You lost it on the last line matey.

A mancunian saying pie-ay-ya is absolutely cringeworthy.

9 on the twatometer.

Do you call spagetti bolognese "Bollo-nyayzee"?

rassclot said:
Optimus Prime said:
Similarly, the French have adopted 'Parking' and 'Weekend' - do you think they say them with an English accent? No chance.

in fact they do. the 'proper' french pronuciations would be park-an & vee-kon but they pronounce them like we do if with a little gallic tinge.

The stress is on the second syllable in 'parking' in French, rather than the first in English, and the way they use the 'r' consonant sound is completely different to us, so they use theirs rather than ours - much like we do with the 'z' in chorizo or the 'll' in llama, which was the point I was making. Languages use their own sounds and stresses when they adopt foreign words, rather than just slavishly copying those of another language - English is no different.

Goater's Shin said:
Wheelsy said:

Micker.

I suppose CSKA Moscow should be 'siska', but I'd feel like a right nob saying anything but 'cee-ess-kay-ay'

Also, AC Mill-an, or AC Mee-lan? Basle: 'bas-ul', or 'barle'? United: 'scum' or 'rags'?

ARR CHEE MEE LAN

Didsbury Dave said:
Moral and cultural minefield this one.

Anyone from Manchester who calls PAris "Paree" would deserve a kicking. I heard someone recently pronounce paella "pie - ay - ya" and I wanted to rip his lungs out. I've heard Chorizo pronounced as "chori-tho" too and wanted to vomit.

Yet I've noticed out fans have adopted "There's only one Da-vid( not Dayvid) Silva.

I'd say it would be far too soft and puffy to pronouce Vincent any differently. But was fine to call Distin "Distan". I'd say these go on a case by case basis and most people know instinctively what's right.

How on Earth is pronunciation anything to do with morality?

Granted, I think people who say 'Porsce-ah' sound like pricks, but I think that's more to do with the type of people who insist on that specific way of saying it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.