Var debate 2019/20

Still livid about the game... but...

I actually think in the long term gain we could do all right out of VAR come May. The Rodri incident has been extensively covered and chastised by both Sky and MOTD. As we move forward these decisions will start getting punished as they are game changing incidents. As we tend to spend much more time in the opponents box than any other team in the league, you would think we would Benefit from this eventually

I also think that we will see a massive drop in the old’ one shot on goal.. one goal conceded City drop points pattern we have endured these past few years. This is purely because with the VAR review system we will see less goals count.. I would imagine around 30% odd of all goals VAR will find fault with which when you drop points to a team scoring 2 goals from their only 2 shots bodes more favourably for the team spending the majority of their time peppering your goal with 20+ shots.

Basically I expect teams to score a significant less amount of goals this season due to VAR which in all honesty would benefit us as we rarely win by a goal so the margins should hurt our rivals more.

That said that’s reliant on no corruption and an even playing field... perhaps I live in Nania!

In reality next week Liverpool will get a penalty, win 1:0, with exactly the same situation as we didn’t today and people will say they are learning In a few weeks when we are winning 3:0 a team will have a goal disallowed like we did today and people will say, swings and roundabouts they all balance up over a season

VAR is shit.
The new handball rule is also shit.

VAR is too slow and the communication to fans in the stadium is non existant. If what we saw today was anything to go by it can be disposed of now as it totally wrecked the game on TWO occasions.
Offside decisions are dependant on the VAR operator getting the decision point for when the pass is made correct. As was seen last week they didn't get it right for Stirlings run and Jesus's disallowed goal.
It doesnt work for penalties as only the ref can kick an incident upstairs for review. How Lamela's throttling of Rodri wasn't given as a penalty is beyond me.
As seen today the new handball rule is a pile of pooh. I'm pretty sure Kane(?) Touched the ball as well as Laporte.

Last edited:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, is there now have a different interpretation of handball depending on whether it leads to a goal or not?
If it hits the hand but doesn’t lead to a goal it has to be intentional to be given.
If it hits the hand and leads to a goal it will always be given as handball.

This has to be the most ridiculous rule change in the history of sport.

Just Google Neil swarbrick var and piss yourself laughing at his explanation of handball....he even uses the penalty against spurs in the champions league as an example....that sissoko didn't make a movement towards the ball he was pointing to his team mate where to go but it hit his arm. Also if it's not been posted then go through sky for the debate programme he was on about how the premier league will deal with handball decisions differently to European games. To add to that....another rule is that our refs apparently do have the option to view footage of a contentious decision and overrule the var. It's our misfortune that we had a shithouse ref like Oliver today with no fuckin backbone to review that footage and give our worthy goal. Also why was the pen not reviewed in the first half that was clearly an obvious mistake and Kane grabbed a handful of Laporte shirt before the handball so why were we not awarded a pen?.....corrupt as fuck with no explanation needed to be given by the **** sat 300 mile away giving the decisions. Having said that if we stick at least 50% of our chances on target in the net then var wouldn't fuckin matter!.....rant over.

In reality next week Liverpool will get a penalty, win 1:0, with exactly the same situation as we didn’t today and people will say they are learning In a few weeks when we are winning 3:0 a team will have a goal disallowed like we did today and people will say, swings and roundabouts they all balance up over a season

Please don’t talk sense and burst my bubble ;)

Var wasn't introduced to prevent us winning.
It's been in the pipeline for years, getting slowly introduced in various formats before landing in the prem.
Some say (with good reason) it's benefitting the old cartel teams but we are only 2 games in. If we'd finished a quarter of our chances today it wouldn't even be under discussion,.
This performance today was brilliant, I believe we will comfortably win the league on this display, and we will only get better.
Pep very diplomatic post game, he knows var shouldn't affect us if we're at it.

Var wasn't introduced to prevent us winning.
It's been in the pipeline for years, getting slowly introduced in various formats before landing in the prem.
Some say (with good reason) it's benefitting the old cartel teams but we are only 2 games in. If we'd finished a quarter of our chances today it wouldn't even be under discussion,.
This performance today was brilliant, I believe we will comfortably win the league on this display, and we will only get better.
Pep very diplomatic post game, he knows var shouldn't affect us if we're at it.

This basically.

I also think come May we will look back at VAR in a good light (City gains not as a spectacle... as that’s f*cked) I believe it will impact games with tighter scoring margins and we do have a habit of winning games by cricket scores whilst our rivals tend to get through ties by a finer margins.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.