VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24

It shows how bad things are with VAR when on Sunday Forest are feeling aggrieved by 3 decisions and then a major one in a Fa cup semi which reprieved the rags being dumped out by a championship side.

It’s only the third one that I think they can feel aggrieved by, I think VAR was right not to intervene with the other two.

Personally I think it shows how bad things are with VAR that they think it should get involved in all three.

Let’s see how many decisions forest get at the weekend.Penalty anyone?
thats what gets me.. Everyone sort of accepts and agrees that happens. And its actual manipulation to even things up. It used to happen with refs (Pre VAR) but that was on the pitch, his own thoughts.. If he made a mistake he would then even it up probably with the next decision. With VAR that is now orchestrated imo. Maybe.

I thought Forest said that they'd raised concerns about Atwell ahead of that game on Sunday?

For me, whether they did or didn't is irrelevant. If one of the officials supports a team that is in a direct battle with one of the teams that is playing then there's not a chance they should be on the roster for that game in the first place. And didn't City get an official removed from a game at the back end of our 2011/12 title-winning season for that exact reason? I can't remember who it was - might've been Mason. Perhaps @Prestwich_Blue can clarify?

Yes, Forest claimed they ‘raised concerns’ whatever that means. But they didn’t ask for him to be removed. If they had of done, it would have been considered, as all such requests are.

You have to consider though, that in a full round of Premier League games there are 60 officials involved, out of a limited pool. So where should they draw the line?

It was a pretty sure bet that Luton were going to be involved in the relegation fight before a ball had even been kicked. So should an official with a declared interest in Luton be exempt from officiating in games involving any other team who were likely to struggle from day one?

You could predict that Newcastle were more than likely to be in and around the European places pre season. Should that have exempted Oliver from doing any other side likely to be in that area?

This is why there are few hard and fast rules. It is decided on a match by match basis. And clubs are entitled to object to any appointment that they feel has slipped through.

Forest hasn’t formally objected to any appointment this season and asked for a change.

It does though to be fair, that’s why the thicker lines are applied.
Thicker lines yes, but does anybody know how thick? Started as 1 pixel, what is it now? Does anybody know? Does anybody know how this thickness relates to the real world measurements on the pitch and the actual tolerances for technological error that this thickening provides? Does anybody know if this thickening emanates from the centre of the line (so in reality only half as thick as advertised)? Are both the attacker's and defender's lines BOTH thickened, or just the defenders?...etc...etc...

Thicker lines yes, but does anybody know how thick? Started as 1 pixel, what is it now? Does anybody know? Does anybody know how this thickness relates to the real world measurements on the pitch and the actual tolerances for technological error that this thickening provides? Does anybody know if this thickening emanates from the centre of the line (so in reality only half as thick as advertised)? Are both the attacker's and defender's lines BOTH thickened, or just the defenders?...etc...etc...
Does it matter what they are if they aren't applied?

St Fishfinger in the Dipper's game is the only time I recall it being applied.

thats what gets me.. Everyone sort of accepts and agrees that happens. And its actual manipulation to even things up. It used to happen with refs (Pre VAR) but that was on the pitch, his own thoughts.. If he made a mistake he would then even it up probably with the next decision. With VAR that is now orchestrated imo. Maybe.

Not really, all i ever see is .. 'yeh we had a decision go for us, lets see what happens next time'' and then nothing happens. all forgotten.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.