VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
No form of officiating will ever be please - everyone sees decisions differently and there’s no rule book that covers 100’s of grey areas

Happy to scrap VAR but we’ll just be go back to debating the farcical decisions the officials have made in each game
But the point is that people will accept the debatable nature of those decisions. If VAR worked there’d be no debatable decisions would there? It’s a flawed system because it cannot remove human error or judgement just delays it.

But the point is that people will accept the debatable nature of those decisions. If VAR worked there’d be no debatable decisions would there? It’s a flawed system because it cannot remove human error or judgement just delays it.

No but in theory it can massively reduce errors and should reduce clear errors the officials have made - zero chance any system can remove all debatable decisions

When VAR does get it right I think it’s easy to forget that at times the onfield decision would have stood pre VAR - Bowen would never have got thy penalty at Anfield the other night for instance

I get the anger and totally understand fans that want to scrap VAR totally - I’m just stuck in the camp that wants to keep VAR but know it has to improve and find ways to be more transparent

I think the tipping point will be when the VAR team overturn a mistake from a referee based on the video evidence..

It would also help if Ref’s and the officials were miked up and we (Joe Public) can listen to what they are saying

I just want to comment on VAR in Scotland and point out some things. First of all, the fact they they decided to implement VAR in the Scottish League mid-season is an absolute riot. That on its face is utterly absurd. This goes against everything that is supposed to be holy about the integrity of a season. You don't "change the rules" mid-season or the competition is inherently invalid. There's that. Then we have the fact that when it was first announced, the Scottish Premiership made it very clear that it wouldn't be implemented until after the World Cup because there would be a break in the league for the World Cup and that time would allow them to implement VAR properly, having that extra time. The WC "break" was literally the justification for why it was OK to implement in mid-season.

And then somehow the implementation of VAR gets rushed in even more and moved up to before the World Cup. What sense does that make to change the schedule and decide to implement it mere weeks before the WC when you had the WC break which was the logic behind why it was OK to implement it mid-season? This is a complete embarrassment for the Scottish League. It was bad enough that they were going to implement it mid-season, but then to move the date up to before the WC "break". What the heck is going on here? Who is making these insane decisions?

Then we have the absolute shambles that was the first Scottish League match with VAR. To the reaction to VAR by Scottish fans speaks for itself. Fans do not want this. It's unreal how stupid VAR is and how crazy it is to for the Scottish league to implement VAR mid-season in such a way.
I have highlighted this previously when we got screwed by a change in the handball rules mid season. It simply should not happen. Point were handed out under the previous rules and then after a rule change teams who wouldn't have got points under the old rules due to goals being disallowed were suddenly getting points under the new rules.

No but in theory it can massively reduce errors and should reduce clear errors the officials have made - zero chance any system can remove all debatable decisions

When VAR does get it right I think it’s easy to forget that at times the onfield decision would have stood pre VAR - Bowen would never have got thy penalty at Anfield the other night for instance

I get the anger and totally understand fans that want to scrap VAR totally - I’m just stuck in the camp that wants to keep VAR but know it has to improve and find ways to be more transparent
If the PiGMOL could just stop lying about shit for 5 minutes...

But they can't. They trawl out the likes of Dermot Gallagher or Peter Walton to make bullsh*t excuses for the ridiculous decision we see week-in-week out, and then their is the debate about VAR listening in to the TV comm's and how they claim they don't, but the way VAR plays out on our screens more than suggests otherwise.

There is a reason they have been so reluctant to let us listen in to the comm's.

The only reason we have VAR is because people don't accept the debatable nature of those decisions.

If the PiGMOL could just stop lying about shit for 5 minutes...

But they can't. They trawl out the likes of Dermot Gallagher or Peter Walton to make bullsh*t excuses for the ridiculous decision we see week-in-week out, and then their is the debate about VAR listening in to the TV comm's and how they claim they don't, but the way VAR plays out on our screens more than suggests otherwise.

There is a reason they have been so reluctant to let us listen in to the comm's.

When people are involved in a cover up that could potentially ruin them if it ever came out, there’s always a very good reason why they think it’s worth the risk.

I’m struggling to think of any reason they could have for secretly listening in on Gary and Carra’s ramblings and denying it?

Considering how inconsistent and downright farcical the standard of refereeing is there is no way we can remove VAR. The blatant things they are missing wouldn't get resolved. We're seeing inconsistencies and that's where the issue is at the moment. There needs to be a specific team at VAR that operate it every week. You shouldn't have refs interchanging between onfield roles and VAR roles. There has to be independent people running the system. There's a hierarchy within refereeing and younger refs will bow to their superiors which isn't right but is to be expected.

There should be logic and common sense applied as well to clarify rules on handball's/penalties etc. It's a game played at a high pace, there will be some mistakes and inconsistencies as a result. But there shouldn't be so many game to game, week to week.

An added issue is games like derbies or at Anfield last weekend. The ref wants to let the game flow, knowing there's an edge. That's fine. If the ref had have been fully in control then Foden's goal counts. But then you have a system that spots a foul. And it was a foul in isolation. But it wasn't one that the ref was willing to award in a game played at high pace with a lot of 50/50 challenges. So the goal should have stood on that basis. That was Pep's issue. But with VAR unfortunately it was rightly ruled out. Really that decision should have been for the ref to come and look at - with VAR appreciating he'd let a few of those go.

VAR will always have issues, and those issues exist in other sports like cricket and rugby too. The difference is they're less often match-defining and there's better communication of decisions and a respect that things aren't always 100% correct. In football we'll always see one set of fans moaning, as has always been the case. But without VAR that's still the case and more decisions would be missed in my opinion.

For me the biggest issue is this pitchside monitor. You know if the ref goes to that what it means. So why does the ref need to go and look?! Why did the ref have to look to see Bernardo get tripped up? Why didn't he go and look at the Haaland one? Funnily enough I thought the Bernardo one was soft in fact, he was looking for it. And the Haaland one should have been given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.