VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not stopped controversial decisions, it’s not stopped people bickering and it’s not stopped accusations from all sides of wrongdoings.
It has stopped the flow of the game, it has stopped the spontaneous joy that the game is meant to provide and it has stopped referees from taking responsibility.

It’s not, IMO helped the game and the decisions being made are negligible at best as to wherever it’s beneficial to football as a whole.

Goal line technology is the only thing needed right now. VAR is just a very expensive experiment doomed to failure whilst it’s reliant on humans to carry it out.
Especially when it gets so many things wrong but can’t intervene in the bleeding obvious. Take City at Klanfield last week. Top save from Eddie, clear to everyone watching it was a corner, ref gives a goal kick. I actually thought that was what it’d be for, just gently whispering in the refs ear and not what it has become.

That’s always been the rule, hasn’t it? Otherwise tap ins from keeper saves would have been goals.
No it hasn't. See my post #2,563 on page 257. Before the current FIFA President, "deliberate" was not in the offside law. In the old days, any deflection off of a defender (deliberate or not) would reset the phase and in that situation the deflection would play Kane on.

I may be wrong on this (happy to be corrected) but my understanding is that the decisive moment is when the foot makes contact with the ball and NOT when the ball leaves the foot.
I find it unbelievable that they do not, in the first instance, view the incident (and show it), frame by frame to determine the EXACT moment the foot makes contact with the ball. Once established, then move on to draw the lines across the pitch to determine players positions and wether offside or not.
The difference between foot making contact with ball, and ball leaving foot, could make a huge difference in an attacking players position, as they move so fast.
If we're stuck with VAR it must be improved to determine exact moment the foot makes contact with the ball !!
100% spot on.

Task 1 - Run video in order to determine exact moment ball is struck (NOTE the "exact" time on the video)
Task 2 - Run video of attacker deemed to be in offside position and slow it down as it approaches the noted time and stop the video at noted time. Make decision based on this evidence and then, if necessary, draw some silly coloured lines at this "exact" moment.

* it isn't exact, it's an estimate

Especially when it gets so many things wrong but can’t intervene in the bleeding obvious. Take City at Klanfield last week. Top save from Eddie, clear to everyone watching it was a corner, ref gives a goal kick. I actually thought that was what it’d be for, just gently whispering in the refs ear and not what it has become.
This happened pre-VAR when someone whispered in Alty's ear at the Ethihad after Sideshow Bob felled Sergio and he reached for his pocket before recoiling as his earpiece crackled into life and his cards miraculously stayed in his pocket.

The Spurs game serves to highlight the really simple thing they could do to make VAR not only work but be palatable. If they just made the law say: “If ANY part of the attacker is onside, it’s onside” there would be absolutely NO controversy.
Onside by a defender's toenail? All depending on the chosen frame, of course ;)

No it hasn't. See my post #2,563 on page 257. Before the current FIFA President, "deliberate" was not in the offside law. In the old days, any deflection off of a defender (deliberate or not) would reset the phase and in that situation the deflection would play Kane on.
Same with keeper rebounds? They've never been given onside as far as I can remember.

Though Law 11 (offside) has not explicitly changed, the new guidelines make clear that an attacking player who is offside will not automatically become onside upon a defender touching the ball, unless it was a save

Seems a clarification, not a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.