VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would certainly make it easier to adjudicate but the whole point of a VAR is to increase the number of correct decisions, not to change the laws of the game to make them easier to apply.
They change the rules often ! all season they tinker with offside and handball , they have changed it so many times they are confused themselves hence it is subjective and they are not in a position to state var works

you didn’t really answer my question.
There should be little pressure on referees if the process is open, transparent and fair. Mike them up. Show fans the pictures they are making decisions on, let us hear the discussions and the rationale for a decision. As I have constantly said. Like Rugby Union. It’s the lack of transparency and evidence based decision making that is putting pressure on them.

for example. Phil’s goal against Liverpool. How it should have worked;

Goal Scored
Goal check
referee to VAR; any reason why I can’t give this goal
Var to referee; we are looking at two incidents, potential foul by Haaland on Fabinho, potential foul by Haaland on Alisson
referee to Var; show me both incidents,
first film plays,
Referee; ok, yes there is a slight pull of the shirt but I have been letting similar go all game. No foul.
second clip plays Referee asks for it to be played from three angles
Referee; ok, Alison appears to have control of the ball as both hands are touching the ball which is grounded. By the laws of the game a challenge in those circumstances is deemed foul play. Free kick to Liverpool. Goal disallowed.
Referee; is there any reason why I shouldn’t give that as a revised decision
VAR no.
other than Liverpool are cunts

Disclaimer: this scenario included as an example. In no way should it be read that the goal should have been disallowed :-)

Conversations like that happen all the time in Rugby.
in all seriousness, if that is miked, broadcast in real time, the same clips shown in the ground and on Tv as the referee is seeing, 95% of problems solved. Those disciplines will sure as hell make referee and Var decision making better, tighter and quicker.

I’ve no issue with them broadcasting the conversations. I have an issue with people thinking it will “solve” anything though. In this example there would be fucking uproar that a referee has admitted live on air that he has clearly seen a foul but decided not to penalise it.

They change the rules often ! all season they tinker with offside and handball , they have changed it so many times they are confused themselves hence it is subjective and they are not in a position to state var works

Maybe, but there’s a fundamental difference between changing the laws with the intention of improving the game and changing them simply to make a referee’s job easier.

If you go down that road, you may aswell make it a handball offence every single time the ball hits a hand or arm.

It would certainly make it easier to adjudicate but the whole point of a VAR is to increase the number of correct decisions, not to change the laws of the game to make them easier to apply.
What is a correct decision though? Most decisions are subjective and open to interpretation

I’ve no issue with them broadcasting the conversations. I have an issue with people thinking it will “solve” anything though. In this example there would be fucking uproar that a referee has admitted live on air that he has clearly seen a foul but decided not to penalise it.
why?
He did it all game and in the main was commended for it.
what I described happens in Rugby and there is nowhere near the same controversy. Rugby has a far more complex set of rules to referee as well.

why?
He did it all game and in the main was commended for it.
what I described happens in Rugby and there is nowhere near the same controversy. Rugby has a far more complex set of rules to referee as well.

Because both games of rugby are minority sports that are not put under anywhere near the same level of scrutiny as football.

Example. I’ve heard a video ref in rugby league live on TV telling the ref he thinks he’s missed a clear forward pass, when it is quite clearly stated that forward passes are not to be judged by the video ref. I’m guessing he didn’t realise his microphone was on. Either way, he disallowed the try, the commentator made a comment along the lines of…. Bit unorthodox but they got the right decision so all’s good. And as far as I’m aware, it’s never been mentioned since.

Can you imagine if a comparable scenario happened in a high profile football game?

you didn’t really answer my question.
There should be little pressure on referees if the process is open, transparent and fair. Mike them up. Show fans the pictures they are making decisions on, let us hear the discussions and the rationale for a decision. As I have constantly said. Like Rugby Union. It’s the lack of transparency and evidence based decision making that is putting pressure on them.

for example. Phil’s goal against Liverpool. How it should have worked;

Goal Scored
Goal check
referee to VAR; any reason why I can’t give this goal
Var to referee; we are looking at two incidents, potential foul by Haaland on Fabinho, potential foul by Haaland on Alisson
referee to Var; show me both incidents,
first film plays,
Referee; ok, yes there is a slight pull of the shirt but I have been letting similar go all game. No foul.
second clip plays Referee asks for it to be played from three angles
Referee; ok, Alison appears to have control of the ball as both hands are touching the ball which is grounded. By the laws of the game a challenge in those circumstances is deemed foul play. Free kick to Liverpool. Goal disallowed.
Referee; is there any reason why I shouldn’t give that as a revised decision
VAR no.
other than Liverpool are cunts

Disclaimer: this scenario included as an example. In no way should it be read that the goal should have been disallowed :-)

Conversations like that happen all the time in Rugby.
in all seriousness, if that is miked, broadcast in real time, the same clips shown in the ground and on Tv as the referee is seeing, 95% of problems solved. Those disciplines will sure as hell make referee and Var decision making better, tighter and quicker.
Excellent example. 100% agree with this.

I don't see how a miked-up ref last night would have made much difference

Spurs score
VAR ''Hold up, might be offside''
Ref 'Ok, let me know'
Ref 'hurry up lads, got Dier and Doherty going mad''
VAR (4 Mins later) ''sorry for the hold up, tight one, it was offside''
Ref ''ok cheers''

That honestly would just be the jist of it
I need to see how that played out, as I was playing footy last night. It sounds rather farcical though, and must be an extreme example of VAR application. It certainly isn't a common scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.