VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have been saying that they can’t or won’t celebrate goals because VAR may chalk it off. It seemed to me last night plenty of Spurs fans and all their players were going mental at that goal. Today plenty of them will be saying ‘no more of that for me’ yet if they get a last minute goal in the next game they’ll celebrate. If the goal stands then that was the right thing to do, if it’s denied they will just look a bit of an idiot
Spurs fans are very passionate and they got caught up in the moment subconsciously forgetting that VAR was there for that brief moment of euphoria as they went mental celebrating that goal, until the reality of VAR set in. In many other cases goals in general aren't being celebrated property due to fans becoming wise to being burned by VAR.

Probably not, but it's a reasonable assumption. If they were transparent about it and mic'd up the ref/VAR official as they do in rugby, it would take out a lot of the controversy imo. It won't stop people being angry, but if we were to hear a clear explanation as to why something has been ruled the way it has, at least there's a bit of clarity.
I’ve responded to TEOE‘s post suggesting what I thought has probably happened.

We all know the reason it was given offside, don’t we?

Kane’s knee and foot were slightly ahead of the ball when it was passed and that the defender didn’t make an intentional touch of the ball. What else needs clarification?

The issue was the length of time it took, which hopefully will reduce as the refs get better acquainted with the systems.

My guess, and it is a guess, is that they had to load a program to tell the system to use the ball as one of the offside lines and it took longer to do as the bloke doing it hasn’t used the system much.
But, under the current laws, Kane was clearly offside, once the side on view was shown. Even Wio managed to draw the line to show that. In fact, the new tech gives a simple yes or no to offside and the VAR has to decide the nuance of that. For example, had a spurs player been lying down next to the corner flag, the tech would have flagged him as offside. The VAR would then have ignored that as he clearly wouldn’t have been interfering with play. Kane would, therefore, have been called as offside straight away and the only job the VAR had was to confirm that, based on the other factors in play. The only other factor was whether the defender had deliberately played the ball, which he quite clearly hadn’t, decision should have been done and dusted in 1 minute.
Surely the longer it goes on the more irate the players and managers get because I know that is true of me as a fan.

I’ve responded to TEOE‘s post suggesting what I thought has probably happened.

We all know the reason it was given offside, don’t we?

Kane’s knee and foot were slightly ahead of the ball when it was passed and that the defender didn’t make an intentional touch of the ball. What else needs clarification?

The issue was the length of time it took, which hopefully will reduce as the refs get better acquainted with the systems.
How long have they had to get this right?

It's literally their job. If they are competent to operate VAR in a timely and efficient manner in a game where winning and losing is potentially worth £Millions they shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Kane’s knee and foot were slightly ahead of the ball when it was passed and that the defender didn’t make an intentional touch of the ball. What else needs clarification
The defender didn't need to make an "intentional" touch of the ball in order for the phase to be reset before VAR was introduced. The law change that you are referencing was a VAR-induced change to the law. Lets not act like that's a legitimate or traditional part of the law. That's wording that was put into the law was done specifically for VAR.
How long will they need to get better acquainted? We heard these same arguments that we need to give them time to work out the kinks 3-4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.