VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long have they had to get this right?

It's literally their job. If they are competent to operate VAR in a timely and efficient manner in a game where winning and losing is potentially worth £Millions they shouldn't be anywhere near it.
Not very. The semi automated offside system has only been used in CL games since the start of this season.

But, under the current laws, Kane was clearly offside, once the side on view was shown. Even Wio managed to draw the line to show that. In fact, the new tech gives a simple yes or no to offside and the VAR has to decide the nuance of that. For example, had a spurs player been lying down next to the corner flag, the tech would have flagged him as offside. The VAR would then have ignored that as he clearly wouldn’t have been interfering with play. Kane would, therefore, have been called as offside straight away and the only job the VAR had was to confirm that, based on the other factors in play. The only other factor was whether the defender had deliberately played the ball, which he quite clearly hadn’t, decision should have been done and dusted in 1 minute.
Surely the longer it goes on the more irate the players and managers get because I know that is true of me as a fan.
He was not clearly offside. The lines are not reliable. Even if he was, you still have the other issues associated with the play. The fact that the defender clearly pushed Kane forward into an offsides position, and the fact that the deflected header appears to have hit the defender's hand.

The defender didn't need to make an "intentional" touch of the ball in order for the phase to be reset before VAR was introduced. The law change that you are referencing was a VAR-induced change to the law. Lets not act like that's a legitimate or traditional part of the law. That's wording that was put into the law was done specifically for VAR.

How long will they need to get better acquainted? We heard these same arguments that we need to give them time to work out the kinks 3-4 years ago.
Whatever is said, your mind is closed. You’ve created an account on this forum and only post in here.

Wording needs clarification as using VAR means they can look forensically at every goal. Even then, different humans still interpret the laws slightly differently. Therefore IFAB are trying to negate that by making the laws clearer.

But, under the current laws, Kane was clearly offside, once the side on view was shown. Even Wio managed to draw the line to show that. In fact, the new tech gives a simple yes or no to offside and the VAR has to decide the nuance of that. For example, had a spurs player been lying down next to the corner flag, the tech would have flagged him as offside. The VAR would then have ignored that as he clearly wouldn’t have been interfering with play. Kane would, therefore, have been called as offside straight away and the only job the VAR had was to confirm that, based on the other factors in play. The only other factor was whether the defender had deliberately played the ball, which he quite clearly hadn’t, decision should have been done and dusted in 1 minute.
Surely the longer it goes on the more irate the players and managers get because I know that is true of me as a fan.
Ferdinand drew a line from a different camera angle, from the middle of the ball.

No one knows what took so long, so we are all speculating.

Whatever is said, your mind is closed. You’ve created an account on this forum and only post in here.
I sure have, but my mind is not closed. I am trying to have a substantive discussion about VAR and why it needs to go. I respect your ability to disagree and argue for VAR. Whether you want VAR to stay or not, there are many areas that we can agree on.
Wording needs clarification as using VAR means they can look forensically at every goal. Even then, different humans still interpret the laws slightly differently. Therefore IFAB are trying to negate that by making the laws clearer.
The "clarification" you speak of is a reinterpretation of the laws, not a traditional application of the laws.

He was not clearly offside. The lines are not reliable. Even if he was, you still have the other issues associated with the play. The fact that the defender clearly pushed Kane forward into an offsides position, and the fact that the deflected header appears to have hit the defender's hand.
But they don’t use lines in Europe anymore, they have an semi-automated system. The VAR looks for context and does NOT ’draw lines’.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/new...-european-referees-primed-for-a-new-campaign/

I sure have, but my mind is not closed. I am trying to have a substantive discussion about VAR and why it needs to go. I respect your ability to disagree and argue for VAR. Whether you want VAR to stay or not, there are many areas that we can agree on.

The "clarification" you speak of is a reinterpretation of the laws, not a traditional application of the laws.
Ok, good luck in your quest. I suspect it will be a long and wordy futile one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.