I don't see how a miked-up ref last night would have made much difference

Spurs score
VAR ''Hold up, might be offside''
Ref 'Ok, let me know'
Ref 'hurry up lads, got Dier and Doherty going mad''
VAR (4 Mins later) ''sorry for the hold up, tight one, it was offside''
Ref ''ok cheers''

That honestly would just be the jist of it
The on-field referee should lead the discussion/VAR, NOT VAR leading the on-field referee.

You are, as always, being deliberately obtuse in order to swerve.

What struck me last night was the smirk on the referees face as he was 'explaining' the decision to the Spuds players. He was having a whale of a time. I have to say it smelt bad.
It was disgusting. While the Spurs player were protesting and saying "The ball's gone backwards." All he did was stand there like a robot saying "it's offside. it's offside."

why?
He did it all game and in the main was commended for it.
what I described happens in Rugby and there is nowhere near the same controversy. Rugby has a far more complex set of rules to referee as well.
The referee is sacrosanct in rugby as well. Even if he’s wrong the players just crack on with it, which is exactly what should happen in football. If players, managers and pundits had ever just accepted the decisions we wouldn’t have gone down this rabbit hole, from which football will never likely reappear!

But the officials in the VAR room have the laws of the game, they know if it’s offside or not - it’s not the referees judgment call - they are the ones to tell the ref if it is off or not

Having the referee run to the monitor for a look and a chat for a offside is pointless and wastes more time - it’s a simple yes or no decision
Doesn't it trouble you that the laws of the game have been altered in order to accommodate VAR? Under the pre-VAR laws as they were Kane would have been played on by the deflection.

He's supposed to have autonomy when it comes to decisions. His ability to make decisions have been compromised.

If you want to get right down to semantics, it is officially at the referee’s sole discretion whether he uses a VAR before every game. If he does then an extension of that is giving him permission to rule on offside decisions and advising ( telling ) him whether there’s been an offside or not.

The Spurs game serves to highlight the really simple thing they could do to make VAR not only work but be palatable. If they just made the law say: “If ANY part of the attacker is onside, it’s onside” there would be absolutely NO controversy.
That OR to implement a margin of error, take both the frame before and after the VAR snapshot frame and if any of those frames show him onside then then he would be considered on. Because as we know deciding which frame to pause it at to draw the lines is guesswork at best, and the drawing of the line itself is also guesswork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.