VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It hasn’t crept in. In fact I’d say it’s creeping out if anything. There probably hasn’t been a game of football played in the last 50 years where you couldn’t find a foul at a corner if you looked hard enough. At least now they know they’re taking a chance. Until recently it was virtually unheard of to get penalised.
The PL introduced a clamp down on penalty area fouling a few years ago, then at some point abandoned it. I think it was Sterling who was the first person to fall foul of the new ruling, for an innocuous challenge on someone at the start of the season.

The worst culprits though, were United, with Smalling probably being the primary reason the new interpretation was introduced. He somehow never got penalised under the ruling, but was sold shortly after due to being such a poor defender and having a much increased risk of conceding penalties.

So the authorities do occasionally try to do something about penalty area fouling, but their rules have to have enough leeway / subjectivity / scope for interpretation to allow all decisions to be legitimately right or wrong. In other words, it's still a stitch up.

Last edited:
Yes semi-automated offside is what they're doing at the World Cup.

Some subjected calls are still to be made:
- When was the pass made.
- Was the ball deflected deliberately by a defender resetting play.
I'm sure there's a couple of examples I'm forgetting as well.

These subjective calls will still slow it down slightly but it shouldn't be as bad as it has been in the past.

The majority of the time though it's a straight forward pass and run, so from what I gather, as soon as the referee inputs when the ball was played, the technology knows immediately if it was offside or not. It draws the lines faster.
Interesting. What's the margin of error?

The PL introduced a clamp down on penalty area fouling a few years ago, then at some point abandoned it. I think it was Sterling who was the first person to fall foul of the new ruling, for an innocuous challenge on someone at the start of the season.

The worst culprits though, were United, with Smalling probably being the primary reason the new interpretation was introduced. He somehow never got penalised under the ruling, but was sold shortly after due to being such a poor defender and having a much increased risk of conceding penalties.

So the authorities do occasionally try to do something about penalty area fouling, but their rules have to have enough leeway / subjectivity / scope for interpretation to allow all decisions to be legitimately right or wrong. In other words, it's still a stitch up.

The early indications are FIFA are instructing referees to be quite strict on it here. As long as: The fouled player was likely stopped from reaching the ball and getting away a shot. And: There’s no suggestion that there was a foul both ways. Even if the forward was only fouling as a result of been fouled originally. Time will tell how it goes anyway.

You’re right about sterling, I remember watching it. Against stoke away, iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.