Vat on Independent school fees?

This is just obviously not true.

Anecdotally you can look at the cars outside at pickup time.

Research is also available.

For the overwhelming majority of private school pupils, their parents are in the top 10 per cent income group.

TBF being in top 10% has you on £67k (or more obviously). Hardly a kings ransom.

We have a low wage economy.

The people on genuinely big bucks are a tiny percentage of the population. Maybe the Duke of Westminster, MDs of FTSE 100 companies, premier league footballers, and various other extremely rich people.

Even the PM isn't paid much in the scheme of things, although he has a lot of perks.

All the more reason for worrying about those on average income or less, as opposed to those who are at least 'comfortable'. A huge chunk of the population is living on buttons and has either a tiny amount of savings or none at all.

They will just have to go without avocados and Starbucks coffees to be able to afford the VAT costs.

That seems to be the answer for the housing ladder after all…

We have a low wage economy.

The people on genuinely big bucks are a tiny percentage of the population. Maybe the Duke of Westminster, MDs of FTSE 100 companies, premier league footballers, and various other extremely rich people.

Even the PM isn't paid much in the scheme of things, although he has a lot of perks.

All the more reason for worrying about those on average income or less, as opposed to those who are at least 'comfortable'. A huge chunk of the population is living on buttons and has either a tiny amount of savings or none at all.

Once an average salary would afford an average home. Now you’ve got to be in the top 10% to afford one. Probably top 5% in all honesty (£82k IIRC). That’s crazy.

Once an average salary would afford an average home. Now you’ve got to be in the top 10% to afford one. Probably top 5% in all honesty (£82k IIRC). That’s crazy.
This genuinely astounds me. I had a debate with my prospective in laws the other week about this; I argued that, despite the older generation not having as much materially, it was much easier for them to lay the foundations for a life and a family. My missus and myself have a joint mortgage and we're comfortable. Suffice to say, we'd struggle on our own. Now I'm not an economist, nor do I know the dynamics of fluctuating house prices, but can somebody explain to me how the above statistics are allowed? In ten years time we'll be talking about a whole generation of people that will be priced out of a house; many won't even be able to rent. Surely there will be consequences, will the bubble burst? What measures can a government realistically take?

This genuinely astounds me. I had a debate with my prospective in laws the other week about this; I argued that, despite the older generation not having as much materially, it was much easier for them to lay the foundations for a life and a family. My missus and myself have a joint mortgage and we're comfortable. Suffice to say, we'd struggle on our own. Now I'm not an economist, nor do I know the dynamics of fluctuating house prices, but can somebody explain to me how the above statistics are allowed? In ten years time we'll be talking about a whole generation of people that will be priced out of a house; many won't even be able to rent. Surely there will be consequences, will the bubble burst? What measures can a government realistically take?

Landlords are a big issue IMHO. Someone summed it up superbly on here the other week, buying houses they can’t afford and renting them to people who barely can (or words to that effect)

The government can do something here I think. I fancy they might in a year or two once they’ve got their feet properly under the table.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.