Vat on Independent school fees?

It is wrong to assume parents of kids at private schools are wealthy. Ex grammars who went private, eg, have many parents scrimping and saving to give their kids a better education as they see it. Particularly true of Asian parents.

Agreed. Many go without. By and large they aren’t on their bare bones but they aren’t rolling in cash.

Reactions: PPT
It is wrong to assume parents of kids at private schools are wealthy. Ex grammars who went private, eg, have many parents scrimping and saving to give their kids a better education as they see it. Particularly true of Asian parents.
I can tell you for a fact the majority of the parents of kids at most ( not all) private schools are not wealthy. I know I was one and saw it with my own eyes. It’s hard working people, who are making sacrifices and in a lot of cases going without to fund their kid’s education. Yes there are wealthy parents who turn up in Rolls Royce or a Lamborghini to pick up the kids each night, but they are very much in the minority.

I can tell you for a fact the majority of the parents of kids at most ( not all) private schools are not wealthy. I know I was one and saw it with my own eyes. It’s hard working people, who are making sacrifices and in a lot of cases going without to fund their kid’s education. Yes there are wealthy parents who turn up in Rolls Royce or a Lamborghini to pick up the kids each night, but they are very much in the minority.
And millions of people scrimp and scrape by to just feed the family

Yes they do. I agree. But putting VAT on private school fees isn’t going to change that unfortunately.
But this was the mantra of the Mail, Telegraph etc etc . I’d like the latest Volvo because of its safety features so my grandkids are safer on the road but the VAT is killing it for me , don’t think the taxpayers will subsidise it for me though .

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpeg
    IMG_1033.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 8

This is just obviously not true.

Anecdotally you can look at the cars outside at pickup time.

Research is also available.

For the overwhelming majority of private school pupils, their parents are in the top 10 per cent income group.

This is just obviously not true.

Anecdotally you can look at the cars outside at pickup time.

Research is also available.

For the overwhelming majority of private school pupils, their parents are in the top 10 per cent income group.
Good report. But it does say that two-thirds of all private schools are in the South. I think its a tad different in this part of the world.

Good report. But it does say that two-thirds of all private schools are in the South. I think its a tad different in this part of the world.

A tad different, maybe but still, these are the wealthiest parents in the North we're talking about. And it could be even skewed to the wealthiest here, given that fees demand you're in an even higher income percentile to afford them (and still afford a luxury 4x4 idling on the pavement, judging by the schools I pass by).

That isn't at all an argument per se for VAT on fees, but we shouldn't pretend any but a really small minority aren't wealthy by the standards of the population at large.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.