Vat on Independent school fees?

Quoting opinion polls and then making broad sweeping statements about people in the media - a bit contradictory isn’t it?

On a broader point I would say that a policy proposal doesn’t have to be front and centre of public opinion, or indeed generate any strong reaction from the general public in the first instance, for it to be regarded as controversial.

This particular policy is controversial because it’s unclear whether it will actually prove a net positive for the public finances. Another, related controversial element is that parents who opt for private education are reducing the burden on the state while not receiving any offset in their taxation, but now face additional costs. The arguments for and against on this thread, which in most cases make fair points, also suggest it’s a controversial issue even if it’s not prompting the same sort of debate across the general public.
The opinion polling shows that most people don't consider it to be a particularly controversial topic.

It's not a sweeping statement about the media.

It's factually correct that public school pupils are significantly over-represented in senior politics and senior media positions.

It's also a fact that people with an experience of something care more about it, or give it more importance than people who have no connection.

I understand your point that something can be controversial even if only for a few people, but in the context of a potential incoming government policy, it is not controversial. The ticket criteria for the Madrid game is controversial amongst a subset of City fans. On this forum it's going to get a lot more attention, with lots of people sharing strong opinions. At Swindon Women's Institute, it's probably a bit of a non issue :)

As far as I can see, the people on this thread who are arguing against VAT are mostly either public school educated, or have kids at public school. It is controversial for them in the same way that it is being overplayed in the media - because they are invested in the issue. Given the numbers of kids in private education, they are not exactly representative.

Of course it is a luxury, though I respect that not everyone who chooses to privately educate their child bathes in pound notes every night.
Regardless, the question is should VAT be applied to fees and I can see no justification for private school fees to be exempt.
As for charitable status, I think that is a nonsense.

I’m opposed to anything that makes it less attainable to people however I think it’s a bit of a storm in a tea cup.

The government are unlikely to gain anything like the money they suggest - I think Labour will be happy if they can make it stick and Starmer can show he really is a leftie after all and the schools/parents will be happy if it doesn’t hurt.

Ultimately schools have the power here IMHO, if the worst came to the worst and they were in danger of losing kids to make themselves unviable then these schools could make everyone self employed, treat everything as private tuition (this is exempt from VAT) and just act as a billing service provider thus exempting themselves from VAT. Good luck challenging that HMRC!!

If someone wants to send their kids to a private school then good luck but why should the taxpayer subsidise it ? If they can’t afford the VAT then either get a better job or don’t send them .

If someone wants to send their kids to a private school then good luck but why should the taxpayer subsidise it ? If they can’t afford the VAT then either get a better job or don’t send them .
Parents whose kids go to private schools also pay towards state schools through their taxes. Therefore the taxpayer isn't really subsidising it.

Parents whose kids go to private schools also pay towards state schools through their taxes. Therefore the taxpayer isn't really subsidising it.
It's surely a bit more complex?

I'd argue you can only really look at it on it's own, as there are plenty of things paid for by taxes that you might not use, but you don't get a discount for not using them.

And if you're paying for a private education because you believe it gives your kids an advantage in society over state school kids, then is that really something the state should be giving a tax break to encourage?

The fact that ex-public school pupils are over-represented at our top universities and many of the most important jobs in the country, could easily be seen as a problem for society. How much does it cost us to have so many of the most important jobs going to people on the basis of whose parents had more money?

Perhaps their should be a double rate of VAT to compensate the taxpayer for adding such a huge inefficiency into the economy? ;)

It's sort of irrelevant anyway. Things aren't zero-rated because they're "essential" items. Aircraft are zero rated. Gambling is zero-rated. Meanwhile electricity, mobility aids and sanitary items are rated at 5%. Prams are 20%. Stationary is 20%.

Private schools are zero-rated because education is zero-rated, not because they're "not a luxury." They absolutely are a luxury, just like private health insurance, in my opinion (which is also zero-rated).

Besides, choosing to pay for something that is available for free is the definition of luxury isn’t it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.