Vat on Independent school fees?

The distinction should be fairly straight forward. Anyone who gains a degree and works in the public sector giving back to society (nurse, doctor, teacher, army etc…not someone working as admin the local council office) for 5 years should have any student debt wiped. From the moment they walk through the door of that job they pay nothing back towards the loan.

That way teacher, nurses, doctors leave uni, walk into work and never pay a penny. Thats a fair society - now some might say just don’t charge uni fees but we want to make sure those that go straight into private sector are captured. I’m sure there are a few outliers here but I generally think that’s fair and right.
Perfectly good point.

No ......but surely removing their exemption from paying VAT on school supplies should be a start ... either that or providing state schools with the same exemption (I think its called a level playing field)

Private schools do pay VAT on school supplies (books, IT etc), because they are not VAT registered they cannot reclaim it. They will be able to (and back date 10 years any previous VAT payments they made on building work) as soon as this happens.

If you want to level the playing field - as we absolutely should as this will make private schools largely obsolete- then let’s double the per pupil spend to bring it roughly in line with what it costs to send a kid to a non elite private school. So we add £50bn to the education budget - it’s an investment and I’d happily pay more tax to see it happen. Every single kid deserves the best education we can give them.

This country needs bold policies not the gesture politics of VAT on private schools that’ll be lucky if it generates £500m a year towards the treasuries coffers.

The distinction should be fairly straight forward. Anyone who gains a degree and works in the public sector giving back to society (nurse, doctor, teacher, army etc…not someone working as admin the local council office) for 5 years should have any student debt wiped. From the moment they walk through the door of that job they pay nothing back towards the loan.

That way teacher, nurses, doctors leave uni, walk into work and never pay a penny. Thats a fair society - now some might say just don’t charge uni fees but we want to make sure those that go straight into private sector are captured. I’m sure there are a few outliers here but I generally think that’s fair and right.

Agreed...but 7 years not five in the case of Doctors .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.