Vat on Independent school fees?

It’s not going to be immediate, not everyone is going to pull their children out immediately, particularly given how private school fees go up considerably through the year groups. There will be people who can only afford up to year 6 now, or up to year 9, or up to sixth form, and as their children age they’ll have to either find more money or move their kids.

We can build new schools easily enough.

£2Bn a year builds a lot of schools.

Spoke to a bursar on this subject this week. With the high mortgages many independent school parents have and the imminent school fee rise you would be astounded at how many are behind on payments. Also debated it with Stephen Kinnock a week or so ago. Think you would be very surprised. It’s happening anyway. Labour are getting in and this is a vote winner for them.

Spoke to a bursar on this subject this week. With the high mortgages many independent school parents have and the imminent school fee rise you would be astounded at how many are behind on payments. Also debated it with Stephen Kinnock a week or so ago. Think you would be very surprised. It’s happening anyway. Labour are getting in and this is a vote winner for them.

We can reconvene in 5 years and see who was right ;)

You might be! I get enough wrong.

Vat 20 percent

And the cost of building the 100000 new school facilities and places that could be needed immediately? It doesn’t add up you are correct on that.
I'd be astonished if 1/6th leave private education.

As far as I can see, the figure of up to 1 in 5 came from a survey by the Independent Schools Council, and even they appear embarrassed to promote the fact that 60% of respondents said they would "probably or definitely pull their kids out of private education". 60%?

Still - even if those 100,000 did, we wouldn't need new buildings. Last year there were over 1 million spare spaces in schools in England alone, and three quarters of schools were undersubscribed.

Another 100,000 wouldn't be a huge shock given that there are 10m+ pupils in state schools in the UK. In fact, given the spaces available, it may well bring down the average cost of educating kids in the state sector.

Quite simple really, particularly in the context of student loans.

If your degree isn’t likely to secure you a job that will provide the income level required to repay your student loan in full, then it’s not worthwhile for society.
It's not really that simple though is it?

My daughter is about to complete her degree (English Lit) and intends to do a further year teacher training ... another 9k on top of the circa 50k she has racked up already. Who knows what the future holds. She might go on to have a long career in teaching and fully pay back her 'debt to society' or she might think think what is the point of of trying to be 'worthwhile to society ' when the more you earn the more you get clobbered.
The numbers are staggering as well. By the mid-2040s the student loan book will be close to half a trillion and an optimistic forecast is that around 40% of students will fail to fully repay their loans. That’s an enormous burden on the public finances and it will inevitably reduce the funding available for other public finances.
The numbers are staggering .... if you deal in numbers rather than reality. Lecturers and Uni staff get paid up front .... as do private landlords.... the money is clearly there, it is all financed directly via the state.

Those who succeed pay a disproportionately higher cost financially than those that bomb out. Seems to be at odds with what you profess to believe in.

You should perhaps try to engage your brain before getting on your high horse.
Physician heal thyself :)

No I don’t - I have paid for my lad to go to private schools since age 3 and he is coming up to GCSEs. Think I pay £15k a year and it will go upto around 18. I can afford it but I know for a fact a high percentage of parents really struggling to pay the fees and they are just normal working people doing slightly better than average in professional jobs.

The maths on it don’t add up. I genuinely believe it will put off 1/5 1/6 going to independent schools so cancel out any sums saved. Think it is just a vote winner as so many in the left think all those at these schools are Cameron or Boris. Think it is genuinely harsh.

What I will say is that on another topic the wages on offer in this country to the vast majority are totally disproportionate to the cost of living and housing that is where the real issues lie! Not sure what the answer is on that to be honest but that’s for another thread.
“I know for a fact a high percentage of parents really struggling to pay the fees and they are just normal working people doing slightly better than average in professional jobs.”
So, not normal then.

Compulsory purchase any private or public schools. Knock down any non listed buildings or those within a conservation area. Convert or redevelop to state schools or housing dependent on the site. Take education out of LPA control like health, social care, police and do the best to create some parity

Compulsory purchase any private or public schools. Knock down any non listed buildings or those within a conservation area. Convert or redevelop to state schools or housing dependent on the site. Take education out of LPA control like health, social care, police and do the best to create some parity
Also stop schools on religious basis.

“With the high mortgages many independent school parents have and the imminent school fee rise you would be astounded at how many are behind on payments”
Not a problem for the parents of the kids I teach. They’re more concerned about scraping enough to feed, clothe and keep their children warm. I’m sure they’ll shed a tear though. Must be a killer not being able to keep up on the private school fees.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.