Vegetarians - Meat replacements

Thought you’d have plenty of rabbit over there, something I always look forward to when I’m in Spain.
There is mate, but as you know it has to be cooked just right or the flavour and texture is fucked.
There’s a couple of decent places that serve it up well but considering how cheap and easy a dish it is to make it’s surprisingly not readily available where I am.

I have no problems with most veggies at all, because most veggies are ex meat eaters and respectful of my choice to eat meat . However, some vegans can go fuck themselves if they start lecturing me about eating eggs and wearing leather, etc. I don't tell them not to eat lentils or not wear hemp-twine sandals.

I'm not eating as much meat nowadays due to personal choice and i may eventually go vegetarian, but the main reason i eat meat is that i have eaten it all my life and still enjoy most of it.

But if I do turn veggie I won't resort to eating those nasty looking streaky bacon vegan rashers and other meat wannabe veggie products, does anyone eat and enjoy fake vegan bacon? : /

I bake a really tasty cheese and onion pie so there's a start. And I like plenty of vegetarian food such as falafel, hummus, stuffed vine leaves, onion bhajis, vegetable soup etc.

I definitely think that the world's veggie cuisines are becoming known about and more available nowadays in restaurants and shops, and veggie food is a lot more appealing now than it ever was, certainly since i first tried it in the early 80s.

My favourite kind of veggie(and meat/fish) cuisine is Greek/Turkish - Lebanese and middle Eastern. Oh i almost forgot traditional Moroccan food too which i really liked when in Morocco.
I think those foods tastes so fresh without added nasties such as MSG and preservatives and artificial flavorings.

I also like indian/Pakistani food as long as it's not too spicy because some of the flavours are sensational.

I think i need a good vegetarian cook book to educate and inspire me to cook and try new kinds of veggie dishes.

There is mate, but as you know it has to be cooked just right or the flavour and texture is fucked.
There’s a couple of decent places that serve it up well but considering how cheap and easy a dish it is to make it’s surprisingly not readily available where I am.
I’ve probably had it more out in the sticks tbh, I do like the 40 cloves of garlic recipe over there.

Shopping today and looking at all the new plant based ranges , it occurred to me why do vegetarians/ vegans decide against eating meat but then choose and design food products that are designed to look and taste like the type of food they are looking to avoid? If they want a plant / vegetable based diet why not eat plants and vegetables that look like what they are rather than adding in preservatives and additives to make them look like something else?
Do meat based products look like what they are?

I have no problems with most veggies at all, because most veggies are ex meat eaters and respectful of my choice to eat meat . However, some vegans can go fuck themselves if they start lecturing me about eating eggs and wearing leather, etc.
Reminds me of Jimmy Carr introducing Sara Pascoe on a show.

"Sara is a vegan because she loves animals, her favourite being the high horse."

When you think about it, there is only the fakey bacon that is pretending to be something it's not. Sausage and burgers are either a round splat or a tube for nothing more than the convenience in cooking or manufacturing purposes just like their meaty, tastier cousins... Try thinking of it coming in any other form...I can't think of one. Maybe they should look like twigs and leaves?...

When you think about it, there is only the fakey bacon that is pretending to be something it's not. Sausage and burgers are either a round splat or a tube for nothing more than the convenience in cooking or manufacturing purposes just like their meaty, tastier cousins... Try thinking of it coming in any other form...I can't think of one. Maybe they should look like twigs and leaves?...
Sausages are a pain to cook anyway. They should all be square or burger shaped.

Squidge them out of the skins...Hey presto!...a splat...There is also Lorne sausage..popular in Scotland, flat and square and I've yet to taste a decent one...
Fuck that, then I'll see what's in them. I get the square ones now and then from the Scottish butchers.
Good but greasy as fuck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.