Very complimentary piece from Grantland (espn offshoot)

Puppet Master Silva said:
I do wonder if we set out to exploit the lack of familiarity between Moreno and Lovren beforehand or if it was something that developed as the game went on. for the first 35-40 minutes we attempted a lot of balls over the top that just weren't coming off, but at the same time it's in our DNA now to try and get in behind the fullbacks at the Etihad, we're one of the best teams in the world at doing so. If we chose to target Moreno and Lovren then, in hindsight it was a very clever move on our behalf.

Whatever the case Pellegrini was smart to bring on Navas for Silva when he did. He noticed Moreno starting to get more up field and combine with with Markovic on the wing when he came in. He wanted to keep Moreno honest and deal with Navas' speed. The 3rd goal was no fluke. As soon as Sergio came on it was exploited to perfection.

fortunate son said:
"Clubs don’t get mulligans on matches they biff in August"

????

Mulligan = do-over; a 2nd chance

biff = make a mess of; completely f up

And yes, City's rise has come during an unprecedented explosion of interest in the game here in the states - interest that is especially noticeable with regard to the EPL. Via NBC's deal, last year was the first time we could watch every single premiere league match live here in the US. And ratings far exceeded expectations. I've been a City supporter since '96 (oasis fan + couldn't stand front-running united fans = easy choice) and back then NO ONE over here (outside of the diehards) knew who the hell Man City were. When I'd wear Man City shirts, people would actually say "oh, you're a Manchester United fan?" or "david beckham! spice girls!"

Now I see the Man City brand everywhere. It hasn't caught up to United in popularity (or Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea or Tottenham for that matter) but it's definitely noticeable. I coach my daughter's "soccer" team (7 year old girls) and the 13 year-old ref showed up to last week's game with a City towel & water bottle. Then I realized, as long as this kid has been following football, City have been a dominant club. Sorta blew my mind.

Rösler von Stretfordbömber said:
Grantland is pretty decent usually. This author and the other one who writes about the correct sort of football there are pretty good.

I may be wrong, but I think even the two Grantland writers are even dipper fans. (Like seemingly every single American sports journo that writes about football, for some utterly bizarre reason.) But at least this guy seems to have been objective here.
They do have a couple of Liverpool fans and I believe one Arsenal fan. They also have had in the past the Men in Blazers (Chelsea and Everton fan each) but I think they are now NBC exclusive.

My suspicion is that for many, when you get into the sport (and many like the PL because it's in English) the majority over here pick a club that plays in a manner that they find exciting. That was once upon a time often Liverpool. I suspect many, many new supporters will choose City because they will enjoy how City plays.

taconinja said:
Rösler von Stretfordbömber said:
Grantland is pretty decent usually. This author and the other one who writes about the correct sort of football there are pretty good.

I may be wrong, but I think even the two Grantland writers are even dipper fans. (Like seemingly every single American sports journo that writes about football, for some utterly bizarre reason.) But at least this guy seems to have been objective here.
They do have a couple of Liverpool fans and I believe one Arsenal fan. They also have had in the past the Men in Blazers (Chelsea and Everton fan each) but I think they are now NBC exclusive.

My suspicion is that for many, when you get into the sport (and many like the PL because it's in English) the majority over here pick a club that plays in a manner that they find exciting. That was once upon a time often Liverpool. I suspect many, many new supporters will choose City because they will enjoy how City plays.

I think that is a lot to do with it.

Also there is the, what, Boston Red Sox factor maybe? Seems like every other sports journo is a Red Sox fan. Same ownership and to the uninitiated the same sort of "plucky underdogs with 'istree" factor going on. Though in truth neither the Sawwwxxx nor dippers really have ever been much of an underdog in the grand scheme of things.

Puppet Master Silva said:
I do wonder if we set out to exploit the lack of familiarity between Moreno and Lovren beforehand or if it was something that developed as the game went on. for the first 35-40 minutes we attempted a lot of balls over the top that just weren't coming off, but at the same time it's in our DNA now to try and get in behind the fullbacks at the Etihad, we're one of the best teams in the world at doing so. If we chose to target Moreno and Lovren then, in hindsight it was a very clever move on our behalf.

Didn't Pellegrini say he played Nasri on the right to exploit what he saw as Liverpool's weakness down that flank?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.