Vestibular Nerve Damage

I quite often see a man out with his old dog, think he said she’s 13, a cocker spaniel, who has had this. He said she’s doing well, and they cope with it. He was full of praise for the vet.
Hope your dog is ok. Good sign that she’s coming round now. My older dog is 13 next week, she’s good at present, hobbles a bit at times, but it’s hard not to worry about the future. They are so precious. Keep us posted.

Yesterday, my 13 yr old border collie just fell over for what looked like she had had a stroke. Her eyes were constantly flickering and she is drooling persistently. She was so unstable and didn't know where to put herself. tbh I thought I was loosing her. Rushed her to the vets and she thinks it is VND and that she has a good prognosis.

Today she has shown some improvement (albeit slight) and I was wondering has anyne else gone through this ith their pet and what kind of timeframes are involved for recovery

Oh man, I feel for ya. I love dogs, such special animals. Hope all is well with yours and she improves.

3 days since she collapsed and whilst we are still very worried, we are seeing some gradual improvement. A little more independent and eye flickering not as bad. Drinking plenty of water but still not eaten.

We had a dog that this happened to, It took about 2 weeks for the eyes to stop rolling and for her to get steady on her feet again. She did have a head tilt for about 6 months after but was OK. I did some research at the time, for most dogs its a one off,

Ours didnt want to drink or eat for the first 10 days, we kept dropping water on her paw, as she licked it off there, just to keep her hydrated. She lived for another 3 years after and was 17 when she died and it was completely unrelated.The head tilt never went completely, but it only came back when she wanted treats!!!!

Hope yours goes the way ours did.

I quite often see a man out with his old dog, think he said she’s 13, a cocker spaniel, who has had this. He said she’s doing well, and they cope with it. He was full of praise for the vet.
Hope your dog is ok. Good sign that she’s coming round now. My older dog is 13 next week, she’s good at present, hobbles a bit at times, but it’s hard not to worry about the future. They are so precious. Keep us posted.
What hit us most was that one minute she was her normal self and within two mins all hell broke loose

We had a dog that this happened to, It took about 2 weeks for the eyes to stop rolling and for her to get steady on her feet again. She did have a head tilt for about 6 months after but was OK. I did some research at the time, for most dogs its a one off,

Ours didnt want to drink or eat for the first 10 days, we kept dropping water on her paw, as she licked it off there, just to keep her hydrated. She lived for another 3 years after and was 17 when she died and it was completely unrelated.The head tilt never went completely, but it only came back when she wanted treats!!!!

Hope yours goes the way ours did.
Thanks, that is great and reassuring news. Thankfully Jess has maintained her thirst and is drinking well - just not eating

Thankfully over the worst. Eyes are now steady and she is much more mobile (still a little wobbly) but it is less than a week. A big fright for anyone who has not experienced this with their pet before

Hope she comes through this. Anyone who loves their four legged family members are rooting for her.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.