Vienna 1970

Blue Streak

I know it wasn't on telly as BBC showed the replayed FA Cup final at Old Trafford between Chelsea and Leeds but did anyone off here actually go?

Be interested to hear any stories people may have? Or if you didn't go how did you manage to keep up with events that night? Did any of the Manchester radio stations of the time cover it at all? - although I'm doubting it somehow.

i could'nt go, far too skint in those days, i did have it on the radio though, i was in our kitchen with a transistor radio perched against the pipes in order to get a stronger signal and hence louder volume. the broadcast would still come and go all through the game but it was so better than nowt.

de niro said:
i could'nt go, far too skint in those days, i did have it on the radio though, i was in our kitchen with a transistor radio perched against the pipes in order to get a stronger signal and hence louder volume. the broadcast would still come and go all through the game but it was so better than nowt.

Which station covered it mate? Thats a quality story by the way.

Blue Lloyd said:
de niro said:

Which station covered it mate? Thats a quality story by the way.

i can't remember, i'm thinking a local one though as the beeb would have had a better signal, mind you the batteries were tired hence using the pipes, it always worked a treat to crank up the signal:)

If you ever watch the Leeds/Chelsea game from 1970 Ken Wolstenholme does mention the score in Vienna at one point.

I'm sure Malcolm Allison made a comment once along the lines of United win a European trophy and its on a sunny evening in England, live on telly for all to see. City do it and it's abroad, cold, raining and clashes with the biggest game of the domestic season so nobody saw it.

bluemanc said:
As a young Blue i went to all the home legs,but the final was out of my pocket money reach.

Same here and I had O levels coming up so my parents would've knocked it on the head anyway. IIRC there were scoreflashes during the Cup Final replay coverage and then highlights on the Beeb later in the evening.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.