Vienna 1970

My Dad went (he passed away 10 years ago so not here to tell the tale himself). I was just a kid and too young to go but I remember crying when my Dad told me I wasn't going. I didn't understand why not and desperately wanted to go. I know he said it poured down and all the City fans got soaked. Also some story about them being waken in the middle of the night at their hotel and everyone had to get up while the Police checked their passports. Can't remember the full story but it seemed quite an experience. Maybe he was just tryign to convince me he was right to leave me at home. I'm sure he was right but it haunted me for years until we finally got back into Europe a few years back. I know we were there other times in 70s but I was still too young.

it was a total tragedy it wasn,t shown on tv, the game was totaly ignored by the media and hardly mentioned, if we had lost they might have recognised it, nothing changes really ?

My dad was 17 and got my grandma to write him a note so that he could have the time off school, can't remember what the excuse was.

was only seventeen at the time,went on a 2 day tour with my mates dad.will never forget that night absolutely pissed it down all of the game . Only around 7000 in a stadium holding around 60000, the greatest night of my city life wich incudes newcastle in 68.my only regret was not getting a progamme for the game which were not on sale but given away in local shops, anybody want to sell one. Hats off to all city fans who support the club but have never experienced fantastic nights like this lets hope they wont be too far away. CTID

I was a lucky 10 year old taken by my gran and my dad.

I remember the rain and spent a lot of the match under a plastic mac I remember thinking the weather had put most of the fans off as the ground was almost empty.

for a couple of years after my parents and my gran always used to say the next time we get to a European final they would take me and how could the weather be worse

funny how a ten year olds memory works

Never forget that night in Vienna for various reasons.
Me and my mate Lester Bebbington actually hitch-hiked all the way from Mid Cheshire to the Stadium and back,which took us approx 7-8 days !!!
We got down to Dover and caught the ferry and were talking to an American Serviceman who was stationed in Garmish,near the Austrian Border,so we covered an enormous amonut of miles,didn`t costs us a penny and that was a fantastic experience at 19 years of age.
From Garmish we travelled to ?? and spent the night in a bed and breakfast,which after 4 nights sleeping rough was a welcome.
We spent the next day refreshed and made a sign asking motorists for a hitch to Vienna.
We saw plenty of motorists over a 4 hour period waving to us,shouting as they went past,fingers up and the rest.Ungrateful bastards we thought.
Then someone had the courtesy to stop and explain we were hitch-hiking in the fucking wrong direction !!! All the motorists had been sounding their horns etc trying to warn us,thick fookers that we were going in the wrong direction.
Anyway we finally arrived in Vienna on Monday afternoon and we managed to find out where the City lads were staying,way up in a wooded mountainous region in a superb hotel.
Again we scrounged a lift and got to the hotel and actually manged to get to see all the City players,Joe Mercer,Big Malc etc in person.
Both me and my mate knew and still do, Alan Oakes and Glyn Pardoe.One of the journalists who was staying at the hotel was a guy called Peter Potter from the Daily Mail/Express (can`t remember) and he interviewed us and they took a photo of the 4 of us along with Mike Doyle and said it would me in the National Paper back home on the Tuesday.Fame at last we thought !!!!!!!!
Alan and Glyn got permisssion from Joe and Malc to let us travel with them on the team bus to the training ground.WOW now that was an experience,travelling with your heroes and every player spoke to us both about our exploits of hiking all the way.
Anyway at the training ground Buzzer failed a fitness test and both me and my mate were mortified to see our hero break down in tears.That hurt.
Due to Buzzer not making it,that took up the main back page headlines so we later found out on our return to England that we never made it into the national press !! Twat !!! lol
We then spent Monday and Tuesday night SLEEPING in the Stadium !!
We managed along with about 8 other City fans,to scale over the wall and we slept on the huge Pole Vault matresses which were underneath one of the tunnels.
Lots of other things happened and yes on the match night we all got pissed soaking wet,with torrential rain coming down for about an hour and just no-where to hide.
It didn`t matter as we won and then came the task of hiking again back to Blightie !!
Ahhhhh.Those were the days.
I`ve got the ticket stub somewhere in the house !!

bluemanc said:
As a young Blue i went to all the home legs,but the final was out of my pocket money reach.

Same here unfortunately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.