Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager

I’m not so shocked. Bayern are obviously in a pretty desperate situation, having been knocked back by Alonso, Klopp, Nagelsmann, Rangnick, Tuchel … Going for Kompany is a gamble, but I don’t see it as much more of a risk than any of the others that have been mentioned in this second-tier of possibles (Pochettino, De Zerbi, Ten Haag etc.). They’re obviously hoping he will be their Alonso.
He did a great job getting Burnley promoted when they weren’t fancied at all. This season didn’t go well, but they were always going to struggle. Of course he could, maybe should, have been more pragmatic, but he stuck to the principles he believes in - and I’m sure that commitment to those principles will have been a pull factor for Bayern. Beyond that, he ticks a lot of boxes - impressive character, great standing in the game, will command respect in the dressing room, speaks German. And has the Pep factor which everyone wants.
Will be a tough job but wish him well.
His keepers could have kept him up had they not made some silly errors but overall the squad in total wasn't good enough. (or at least that's my take)

Possibly, but the point still stands the optics are bad.

I think he'd be bonkers to turn it down, whatever the optics.

Nothing he's done at Burnley suggests he's going to be any kind of super-manager, and the biggest criticism of him this year suggested he should be playing more basic, pragmatic football. I doubt two more years at Burnley, where the 'dream' would be ending mid-table in the PL will really give him the experience for a top job, and there are plenty of managers who just never get to make that jump.

He's played and captained at the highest level, so dealing with high profile players, and working with experienced and knowledgeable staff may well be what he's best at. And worst case, failing at Bayern won't stop him getting another job at the level of Burnley.

The optics are bad just now but how many managers jobs are safe long term these days? In 6 months if they are mid Championship they’d be quick to bin him. Very little loyalty these days from everyone.
Don't quite get Evans' point. He acknowledges in the beginning that nobody would be expected to turn down Bayern when in charge of Burnley, so what does he expect from VK? It seems that VK *was* bought into the Turf Moor project just as much as Alan Pace and JJ Watts were, he gave his all to them for a couple of seasons, but something he can't say no to has come along and he would be a fool to stay, no matter what the Burnley ownership have done for him.

If the board want to make the most of what he's built there, they can bring someone in with a similar style and if they get the right man he will get the best out of em. They should shake Vinnie's hand, wish him well, and be thankful for a great first season, a teachable second one... and for the huge payoff they'll be receiving from the Deutsche directly down to VK, which can be used to strengthen if they choose to.

Possibly, but the point still stands the optics are bad.

I suppose the counter to this is they have a young, ambitious squad; a coherent playing style; and several years worth of parachute payments. They're in a much better position than when he took over. I think a good rule for life - relationships, work etc - is leaving something in a better condition than when you found it.

This is a great opportunity for him. I think this season Burnley have been atrocious and he hasn’t adapted his tactics at all, so I’d say it’s a bit of a risk from Bayern.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.