Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand some of the skepticism on van Dijk but let's remember he's playing for Southampton. I'm sure if we saw him start alongside John or Nico and Ederson behind him he'd look a lot better than playing with Yoshida and Forster. Also, I know the 4-3-3 is working wonders right now but I'd imagine Pep would love to have Stones, Nico, and van Dijk in a 3 at the back with Mendy and Walker as wing backs. That's about as good of personnel as you can get with that formation.

Lee's quotes don't add up. Pep said he needs to rotate our squad & it's been acknowledged that outside of Sterling & Sane, we'd be trying to put square pegs in round holes.

We have no back up in case something happens to Delph, & as feared Kompany can't be relied upon, so injuries to Stones or Otamendi mean Mangala, Danilo or Tosin.

Taking all of this into consideration, our squad isn't as well stocked as many think. 1-15 is great, but after that comes Mangala, Danilo & then the kids. The only positions I'm not sweating about is CAM, HOWEVER after Fernandinho it's Yaya.

So back to Sam Lee's article. With a manager like Pep, does anyone really think he'd forego desperately needed squad reinforcements, to keep a perceived squad unity in tact?

Lee needs to ask Bernardo, Gundogan, Mangala, Bravo, Danilo & Yaya what they think about having to sit on the bench at Manchester City. From my vantage point in the stands, those players seem quite content to me, so why wouldn't any potential reinforcements?

Zinchenko and Danilo as backups for Delph with Mendy returning in April.

January is not a window where you buy 3 or 4 players, it never happens.

Don’t think anyone is happy sitting on the bench but Bernardo is learning the league and slowly improving, Gundogan just getting back to full fitness, Yaya is finished, Bravo is not better than Ederson and hasn’t really deserved to start over him. Mangala is off in the summer, Danilo also hasn’t really proved himself.

Take Kompany out of the equation and we could have a similar CB pool to Bayern currently. Stones is Boateng, good on the ball, regular starter. Van Dijk is Hummels, great in the air, imposing and good from set-pieces. Otamendi is Javi Martinez and Mangala, the backup, is Badstuber. Problem with this is keeping them all happy.

You are not up to date.

Bayern's central defenders now: Boateng, Hummels, Süle - we do not have just the best 2 but best 3 German central defenders
Martinez is playing defensive midfield again - but yes, he could play in central defense, too.

Badstuber plays for Stuttgart now where he is their anchor in a 3-men-defense. The more playing practice he gets now after his injuries the better he is getting. He still has to rest sometimes one or two matches as they are careful but stayed away from injuries.

I wouldn’t start him ahead of Otamendi and certainly not Stones. So are we really considering £60m on a back up. We have a capable if unreliable Kompany, a erratic but sometimes good Mangala and a boy on the rise in Tosin.

Now I appreciate the three behind the first choice two aren’t perfect but having a £60m signing that won’t be first choice isn’t right for me and I’m not arsed normally what we spend. Not the biggest fan of JFE but if he is £20m it makes more sense to me. I actually think we can get by with what we have. Stones close to a comeback and Tosin a bit more experienced for it. I’d have no real qualms him playing against the fodder.

I wouldn’t start him ahead of Otamendi and certainly not Stones. So are we really considering £60m on a back up. We have a capable if unreliable Kompany, a erratic but sometimes good Mangala and a boy on the rise in Tosin.

Now I appreciate the three behind the first choice two aren’t perfect but having a £60m signing that won’t be first choice isn’t right for me and I’m not arsed normally what we spend. Not the biggest fan of JFE but if he is £20m it makes more sense to me. I actually think we can get by with what we have. Stones close to a comeback and Tosin a bit more experienced for it. I’d have no real qualms him playing against the fodder.

Could play stones in the Fernandinho role.

Could play stones in the Fernandinho role.

Why though? Stones could probably do that role to an extent. But he is perfect for the ball playing centre half. I see no reason for his role to change from that to accommodate Van Dyke. If that’s the role you are looking for, I’d rather look for a young Fernandinho type player that we could mould over two years as Fern is first choice for that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.