Watching MLS on ESPN... Do they use different rules to us?

MLS?? You should be BANNED for watching that pile of cack FFS!!! I wouldnt watch it if they played in my backyard!!

Blue Smarties said:
Watching the MLS which is on ESPN at the moment and I'm sat here in disbelief. The commentators don't know what the hell they're on about.

A player goes to put a cross in, the defender jumps up to block it and the ball hits him on the arm. It was an innocent jump and the arms weren't up however the commentators were both shouting "That should be handball, it hit him on the arm" and "yep, sure did. Even if he didn't mean it it still hit his arm, should be a clear attacking (WTF) penalty.

Another movement and a player is clean through with the keeper. His partner who had some outstanding pace caught up with him and went to his side for an easy pass & goal, he got the pass + goal. The commentators were both shouting for offside.

Either these are shite commentators or they use different rules to us. Needless to say both of the decisions didn't make the commentators very happy.

Some of the things they're saying is a bit odd in all "He brings it into the 18 box". Just seems odd. Don't mean to course any friction with any US blues but fuck me, your commentators are wank fellas - sort it out!

Our commentators are shit for football...won't deny this for a second.

In seattle our basketball team had a great announcer but they moved to oklahoma so they put him on MLS games... gotta love the enthusiasm but the guy has no idea what he's talking about... the other guy in the booth obviously had played but couldn't call a game to save his life... so either they don't know what they're doing or they're shite announcers

stevenryals said:
I can't stand american commentators.. I'm american and I sit in disbelief when listening to them as well..

best one I ever heard was:

"It hits the Onion Bag!!"
"What an onion bag"
"the Goal, they call it an onion bag"
"Who calls it that"
"I can't remember"
"onion bag huh?"
"Yes, Its hits the onion bag!!!"
Absolutely the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard..
I think they want to make it an "American" style of commentating.. but it's truely shite..

Tommy Smyth is the one who uses the "onion bag" reference. He's Irish and even though I'm Irish myself, I can't tolerate him. He's very biased when he commentates on the rags.

It's quite clear that since Eric Wynalda was a decent player for us in the 90's they automatically assume he will be an amazing commentator. Derek Rae was decent when they had him for Champions League games. I remember when they brought Andy Gray over for Euro 2008. Even he made everyone look foolish. It was shocking how much better Gray was than everyone else. And the fact that he got under Tommy Smyth's skin got him pointers with me.

There showing you guys MLS over there? Awkward. I'm sorry. Why do you think we wake up F**kin early as shit to watch quality as saturdays and sundays.

I'm not even joking but I've heard an American commentator call the ball an "orb" and talked about putting it in the "score-net" haha!

Good fans though, you get thousands of Toronto FC fans going down to Salt Lake City and such to get pissed up and support their team, that's the same as English fans travelling to say Shaktar Donestk every weekend, but to see a quality of play more closely resemebling the conferance north rather than a Europa or CL game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.