Wayne Bridge

Mancini brought it on himself. He wanted Van Persie when we already had Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko and Balotelli. He refused to sell Balotelli, despite that fact that he was angling for a move back Italy, which consequently meant Van Persie ended up at the rags. Balotelli proceeded to do nothing for City, over the next few months before finally heading off to Milan in the winter.
Tevez had essentially done the same and only played a few games after Munich. Balotelli was one of his only failings but he obviously loved the kid & saw huge potential. A striker who went for £30mil doesn't excuse the piss-poor recruitment that season.

When you look back at the squad we had and the fact that Mancini has been shown the door at every club he's been to since he was sacked from City, it's obvious the reason we won the league was because our squad was head and shoulders above everyone else's. Prime Aguero, prime Silva, prime Yaya, prime Kompany. If Pep had those players in their prime, we'd be getting 100 points every season. The one thing Mancini does deserve credit for though is playing Kompany at CB. How Hughes looked at Vinny and saw a CM, I will never know.

This all comes back to if you think footballers need "an arm round the shoulder" or are overpaid prima-donnas who need a rocket up their arse at times!

I agree Mancini is a legend for us, and that we needed shaking up and some players were there for the wages and needed moving on.

That said, certainly from this interview, it sounded like Bobby sometimes took it personally, when he could have just left him, Bellamy etc. with the kids until they left or contract ended. I don't think the circumstances helped Bobby either, we'd thrown money after a load of garbage (thanks Sparkless) who couldn't give a sh*t and were bad-eggs on the club.

So I don't blame Bobby for being stern, he just maybe shouldn't have taken it personally once he'd figured out someone was either garbage or just there for the money.

Tevez had essentially done the same and only played a few games after Munich. Balotelli was one of his only failings but he obviously loved the kid & saw huge potential. A striker who went for £30mil doesn't excuse the piss-poor recruitment that season.

That assumes you believe Mancini's version of events in Munich which, seemingly, turned out to be somewhat misleading.

When you look back at the squad we had and the fact that Mancini has been shown the door at every club he's been to since he was sacked from City, it's obvious the reason we won the league was because our squad was head and shoulders above everyone else's. Prime Aguero, prime Silva, prime Yaya, prime Kompany. If Pep had those players in their prime, we'd be getting 100 points every season. The one thing Mancini does deserve credit for though is playing Kompany at CB. How Hughes looked at Vinny and saw a CM, I will never know.
Could say the same about Pellegrini, who lead us to one of our best ever seasons, and a Champions League semi-final. Mancini wasn't perfect, but to boil it down solely to having a better squad than everyone is ridiculous.

A tad selective. He won trophies with Inter and is doing very well with Italy.

A tad selective. He won trophies with Inter and is doing very well with Italy.

Partly because all of his rivals were kicked out the league or had points deducted.

I don't think Mancini was or is a terrible manager (I backed him at plenty of points when a lot of fans were singing for him to be sacked in 10/11) but nor do I think he's a great manager (nor was Pellegrini imo) as he's often portrayed on here because I think you'd struggle not to win the league with some of the players he had (compared to the rest of the league at that time especially). He definitely run his course at City and I don't think it was just the tea lady who thought that.

Or maybe it's because when we beat the most successful Premiership manager of all time on goal difference with the last kick of the game, we bought Garcia, Rodwell, Sinclair & Maicon and they bought Van Persie. A better transfer window & a fully fit Aguero and we would have competed.

Mancini didn't help himself totally lost the dressing room.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.