We need an A-list signing ?

SOUTHSTANDINGSTANDER said:
Take Swansea as a good example, was Michu an "A" player? No.

Suprised we're not in for him to be honest.

Michu isn't and will NEVER be an A-list player, same with Madzukic.
A-list players are Worldclass players with huge marketing potentials.

Bayern got Gôtze
Barca got Neymar
Real got Isco
Monaco got Falcao
And PSG will prob get Cavani or some papers say Ronaldo

Look we don't have to look far away to see that ALL big clubs are buying one A-list player each 1-2 seasons. And as i stated earlier in this thread, it's is mostly for marketing purpose.

But it also does my head is when people talk about Negredo and how he is a wonderful signing when he and Dzeko are the same type of players, yet Dzeko isn't sold.
People suggest that just because we got Navas, he will bang them in for fun.

If we can change our style of play for Negredo, we could also change our style of play for Cavani or anyone else.

NoahCity said:
VOOMER said:
NoahCity said:
that's a great example. A player who cost very little and was very unknown when he was bought but has proven to be a top signing for Bayern. Hopefully Negredo turns out the same.

Its a poor example. Ribery and Robben, both big buys and the main attacking threat of Bayern, Martinez and now Goetze. Bayern have always bought big because the best teams look towards the best players. We are standing still at the moment, the new two have a got a lot to live up to and they aren't doing it so far, two over the odds transfers. I hope Negredo is just paper talk, because if it isn't it would be an indication these two are lining their own pockets and will be of to Barcelona if LP wins the election.
Mandzukic wasn't a player that teams across Europe were lining up for, hence the 12 million price tag. But he fit Bayern's system well and was a big success for them.
Edit: How are we standing still when we have already addressed weaknesses in the squad with the signing of Fernandinho and Navas?

Because , we have lost NDJ, Mario and Tevez, we haven't got stronger as we are now short up front and marginally better in midfield while chelski have signed Hazard, Oscar and Mata, the rags RVP against the two main domestic opponents we have simply trod water.

zlaz3r said:
SOUTHSTANDINGSTANDER said:
Take Swansea as a good example, was Michu an "A" player? No.

Suprised we're not in for him to be honest.

Michu isn't and will NEVER be an A-list player, same with Madzukic.
A-list players are Worldclass players with huge marketing potentials.

Bayern got Gôtze
Barca got Neymar
Real got Isco
Monaco got Falcao
And PSG will prob get Cavani or some papers say Ronaldo

Look we don't have to look far away to see that ALL big clubs are buying one A-list player each 1-2 seasons. And as i stated earlier in this thread, it's is mostly for marketing purpose.

But it also does my head is when people talk about Negredo and how he is a wonderful signing when he and Dzeko are the same type of players, yet Dzeko isn't sold.
People suggest that just because we got Navas, he will bang them in for fun.

If we can change our style of play for Negredo, we could also change our style of play for Cavani or anyone else.

Do you think more people will buy a Bayern shirt with gotze on the back as opposed to a Neuer, Lahm or a Schweinsteiger shirt?

Do you think there will be 1/4 of the Isco shirts sold compared to Ronaldo shirts?

Do you think more Cavani/ PSG shirts will be sold compared to the 6 months they had Beckham?

Spoilt brat mentality wanting a superstar, no interest in marketing potential.

VOOMER said:
NoahCity said:
VOOMER said:
Its a poor example. Ribery and Robben, both big buys and the main attacking threat of Bayern, Martinez and now Goetze. Bayern have always bought big because the best teams look towards the best players. We are standing still at the moment, the new two have a got a lot to live up to and they aren't doing it so far, two over the odds transfers. I hope Negredo is just paper talk, because if it isn't it would be an indication these two are lining their own pockets and will be of to Barcelona if LP wins the election.
Mandzukic wasn't a player that teams across Europe were lining up for, hence the 12 million price tag. But he fit Bayern's system well and was a big success for them.
Edit: How are we standing still when we have already addressed weaknesses in the squad with the signing of Fernandinho and Navas?

Because , we have lost NDJ, Mario and Tevez, we haven't got stronger as we are now short up front and marginally better in midfield while chelski have signed Hazard, Oscar and Mata, the rags RVP against the two main domestic opponents we have simply trod water.
Yeh, and we still finished above Chelsea with practically our whole team on terrible form for the season. RVP was big for United but surely with a better fit Aguero, proper width and midfield on form our strikers will perform better. NDJ wasn't that big a player for us ffs. Negredo scored more last season than Mario or Tevez did!

I dont think we need any A-list signings necessary. I would rather see us build a solid squad, and I think 3 solid players will improve us more than signing one superstar who might end up failing anyway. Like Cavani, there are no guarantees he would be better than Dzeko and with those wages and price tag we would take a huge risk. Negredo is more astute signing imo. And when it comes to branding, it is more important to win things first than to sign a robinho. I dont think an A-list signing would have as big an impact on our marketing as some people think it might.

I applaud our signings so far and hope they continue to do good job by making sensible signings. We should aim to buy players who might become worldclass in the future like Kondogbia, Alcantara etc.

Rag trolls having a hard time of is

Navas, Fernandinho were quality players. I think the majority of City fans watched City last season and had two main observations:

Laco of width and lack of pace all over, particularly in midfield when we lose the ball. Therefore these two signs are very good additions

And Tevez was past his sell-by date - yet we sold him. Hurrah!!

There will be no more A-list players as we were already informed of that two summers ago. It is the intention of the club powers-that-be to produce the bulk of the squad through the academy, something that Pellegrini is adept at. There will still be quality signings to be made, but there will be no-one of the price tag that is thrown around names such as Falcao, Cavani, Bale and Ronaldo. A-list players they may be, but they are expensive with the kind of wage demands that we are trying to eradicate. Wage deals that these players demand will not be sustainable if UEFA or the EPL get serious over FFP, and because of this last concern, there will be a much-reduced sell on value. We just have to be smarter with our signings in future, and I'm sure our new leadership have a tight grip on our strategy from now on.

I'm happy with what we have done this closed season. The team has been strengthened and with a new manager at the helm, the squad we have is quite capable of winning the big games no problem. We finished top of the mini league for the top four.

Our bug bears are teams like Sunderland and Everton. If we can just get a mind set which a couple of older professionals might bring and beat teams like that then we are cooking with gas.

If we lose to the Rags, Gooners, Chelski and Spuds home and away but win all the rest we will have 90 points!!

I am optimistic that we'll have a great season this time round and I can't wait for kick off.

- i don't think that some posters are giving enough credit to a true A-lister like Cavani by implying that unless the team changes to suit him, he would be a worthless purchase. nonsense! a natural scorer at the height of his powers like Cavani would find a way to get the ball in the net regardless of how you employ him.

- likewise, i believe it does a disservice to our new manager to imply that he would not be able to get the best out of Cavani (or another A-list signing).

- and as a side note, at this point in the transfer window, after having heard our chairman's response to the question of possible signings (and seen his sly smile), i believe that we have made great efforts to bring in a top signing (likely Cavani) and that City (and the chairman) believed it would be enough to close the deal... but at this point i think that we are clearly moved on to plan B targets. (just my hunch... and you never know if a team like Napoli won't drop it's price requirement after City and other teams walk away and ADL realizes that he's missing his opportunity to make the biggest transfer fee he ever could)

Hart- best Gk in the prem and a good 10 plus years to improve.

Kompany- widely regarded as one of one of the best central defenders in the world, could walk into and captain any side in the world.

Yaya toure- collosal giant in the centre of midfield, a truly unique player with everything in his locker.

David Silva- little spanish maestro with an excellent centre of gravity, can put a pass through the eye of a needle, chips in with a few goals here and there and isn't afraid to put in a shift defensively in the middle of the park.

Sergio aguero- by all accounts is right up there with the best. Perhaps he hasn't hit the heights he's capable of but that shouldn't be considered a negative considering his contribution to date. His skill, decision making, accuracy, pace, power and workrate is evident and given a sustained run in the team as the main man he'll be lethal.

Add to that list the likes of zaba, richards, clichy, nasri, and dzeko, who are in their own right excellent players, and nasty/rodwell who are showing incredible promise.

And that's the thing. Our squad is packed full of 'A listers', albiet ines who haven't been fully utilised in the past imo. The trick here isn't to pack more superstars in the team, it's to unlock the vast potential that's already there, and I think Pellegrini is the man to do just that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.