We need the bell back!

Spent much of my time at that stage (after the seats went in) in the open bit so had a good view of her giving Joe her 'lucky heather'.

Go to know her from visiting the RMI and on the dreaded coach A to away games a bit later.

Proper Manchester bird.

I was reminiscing with my kids on the way to ground for the Fulham match the other week about my first memories of going to Maine Road on match days (my first season was 81-82)

One thing that I have a fond memory of was of course Helen the Bell - possibly because it and she was so unique. Generally I despise musical instruments in any football ground but there was something unique about Helen ringing in the encouragement followed by a chant of “c’mon city”

I’m surprised it’s not a tradition we have continued in some way shape or form. Even if it was a day/game to celebrate an icon fan of city

One article on the city website says the bell was bequeathed to the club museum well Helen passed and has occasionally been rung out at the Etihad but I’ve never recollected a game where that happened - any one else ?

Spent much of my time at that stage (after the seats went in) in the open bit so had a good view of her giving Joe her 'lucky heather'.

Go to know her from visiting the RMI and on the dreaded coach A to away games a bit later.

Proper Manchester bird.
Southern!!! If you were on Coach A, you know lol

We're pretty unique and extrovert and daft in a good way our fanbase are'nt we? At least us old lot.
It used to make me laugh as a kid when she rang that thing,then the kippax would stir too.
when there was a need for more atmosphere or a lull in a game the kippax would chant
" Helen Helen ring yer bell,Hellen,ring yer bell "
She was always sat at the front in the north stand.
I remember that well but on one occasion the crowd chanted it 3 times but there was no response from Helen. The Kippax then chanted, "Part time supporter! Part time supporter!" City fans were always quick witted.

Said to my wife(who is Italian) last night while walking around Cuneo in Northen Italy about Helen's bell. I heard a bell while we are walking towards the main square & I instantly thought of Helen's bell. My wife looked at me ..The fucks he on about now..Off on another City waffle

The club does a lot to remember where we came from. Surely a picture of Helen on the big screen and the sound of her bell, after a team has scored against us would be a great call to action, for the team and the crowd.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.