We now need to sign a big name more than ever...

bookiesgirl said:
dont think we will be taken seriously till we get champions league football.

Don't be fooled, were already being taken seriously. However, once we achieve CL status i expect us to have a full on assault on all the worlds biggest names.

I don't think we do need a 'big name' just for the sake of it. The whole reason behind going for the Kaka's and Eto'os is more driven by GC's marketing plans than anything to do with football.

We know we are not attractive yet to these marque signings, so from footballing viewpoint it makes no sense for the likes of Eto'o to even think about coming here. GC's main selling point is what he can do for a players (and in turn, ours) image. He was responsible for the global marketing of basketball's Michael Jordan and wants a footballer as the next MJ. Eto'o would have been perfect because the African market is huge and pretty much untapped. Of course a player like that would do the team no end of good also but it's really all about raising MCFC's profile worldwide. Which is why 'stratospheric' wages are not a problem, he'll pretty much pay his own wages.

From a football point of view, we do need a 20 goals a season striker and a top centre half. Not necessarily 'big names' though.

I still have belief that Eto'o deal could be done. Let's wait for Laporta and Eto'o response.

we are not desperate for a big name player

we are in desperate need of an out and out centre forward however....what we have at present simply isnt good enough and even IF we get tevez we will still be missing the one important ingredient.

bluebean said:
bang a cheeky take it or leave it 60M bid in for torres, he's been saying positive things about us in the press!!

not a hope in hell that he would come to us......

PistonBlue said:
I don't think we do need a 'big name' just for the sake of it. The whole reason behind going for the Kaka's and Eto'os is more driven by GC's marketing plans than anything to do with football.

We know we are not attractive yet to these marque signings, so from footballing viewpoint it makes no sense for the likes of Eto'o to even think about coming here. GC's main selling point is what he can do for a players (and in turn, ours) image. He was responsible for the global marketing of basketball's Michael Jordan and wants a footballer as the next MJ. Eto'o would have been perfect because the African market is huge and pretty much untapped. Of course a player like that would do the team no end of good also but it's really all about raising MCFC's profile worldwide. Which is why 'stratospheric' wages are not a problem, he'll pretty much pay his own wages.

From a football point of view, we do need a 20 goals a season striker and a top centre half. Not necessarily 'big names' though.

a real post...well said!

Everton consistently show that the team ethic can overcome the superstar mentality. We do not ''need'' to sign a superstar. We still need to sign players that will simply improve us.

Absolute rubbish...just count the number of internationals we now have in our squad. More than any other Premiership team I am guessing. To anybody but a City fan, we already have several big names in Robinho, Given, Barry and Elano. By mid-season you will be able to add Santa Cruz and Bojinov to that list of players every other manager would love to have in their team...and there is still Kompany, Ireland and De Jong who are developing into world class players. All that we need now are a couple of solid defenders...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.