Welcome Bernardo Silva

Simply put, Bernardo is the most talented Portguese player of this generation. Most here agree that he's more talented than Ronaldo (work ethics and athleticism + a good coach in Ferguson got Cristiano where he is more so than raw talent). Will he turn out too be as good or achieve as much? I don't know, mainly because of his position on the field, which is relatively low-profile and not that of a serial goal scorer. Nor is Bernardo that kind of player, mind. He's an Iniesta (whom I think's a better player than Ronaldo anyway, so yeah, it's confusing).

I first got to watch him at our academy in Seixal, he was always the stand out player. Like it's been quoted in some story posted here, because he's so small, he developed some incredible dribbling and ball possession skills to even it out against the bulkier guys. I've never seen a player like him come from Portuguese youth ranks - he's a Cantera kind of guy, one you'd expect to come from, say, Barça's La Masia. He's a Guardiola type of player if I've seen one. The comparisons with David Silva are reasonable and logical, think he can learn a lot from the spaniard. I think the old technique vs strength adagio applies - his skill will compensante his small size in the Prem. A bit like David, Kevin and Coutinho are any defence's nightmare.

One thing Bernardo will be helpful at is opening spaces. Not just because of his incisive and clinical through balls, but because whenever he runs upfield with the ball on his feet, he seems to attrack defenders like a magnet, all trying to dispossess him (and failing) - suddenly, they've been compromised and all caught out of position. I can already see this happening, him galloping through the middle with the ball attached to him, attracting CBs and FBs alike while guys like Sane make a run for it on the sides, which have been left completely open. I think it's this traait that has motivated the comparisons to Messi.

That said, his stats are misleading. He might have had 10 or so assists, but Bernardo assists the assists, and that is not taken into account. He's a creative midfielder more than an offencive one, to be fair. Which makes the amount of goals scored even more impressive. A trademark Bernardo play goes something like this:

- Receives the ball from CB or defencive midfielder.
- Progresses upfield with the ball attached to his left foot while attracting every defender.
- Passes to one of the wings or full backs, if they're on the attack.
- Winger/Full Back assists.

He can do much more, of course, including a more possession based sort football instead of all-out counter attacking like they did at Monaco. One thing which is noticeable from his videos is how he times everything perfectly, and knows how and when to pass the ball back if there are no viable options up front. He just won't give pocession away, and that's something that pleases Pep. Pep would rather see the ball go all the way back to the goalkeeper than losing because of some silly, badly measured pass.

He's also good defensively, he backtracks a lot and from time to time even gets the ball back. The fact that he backtracks probably has more to do with the way he plays, though, since he likes to progress from his own mid field. Oh, and I don't think he'll always last the full 90 minutes. You should take that into account and get used quickly. Perhaps with time he'll gain more stamina, but asking 90' Premier League minutes out of him is still too much.

Hope I was able to help. Perhaps a mod would like to move this to the Bernardo thread? Don't want to be off-topic.

Going to class now, I'll answer later. :)
Thanks pally. That was most enlightening and welcome to bluemoon. Hope you stay here much longer. You have basically mirrored my every thought regarding Bernardo including his downside from the limited number of times I've seen him compared to you who have watched him since he was very young. A lot of folks thought he was going to be in competition with Sterling but I knew deep down that Pep just got himself an Iniesta (I made mention of this in an earlier post). I love KDB and I feel he has given up a lot of his natural game for he team and for this I will ever be grateful to him. But if there is anybody more suited to play this role - it's going to be Bernado. In fact I don't mind pushing KDB upfield to be an inside forward with a Walker supplying width but this guy is our new Iniesta. In previous posts I coyly suggested we go for Bernado when Isco looked uncertain. That was before it became clear that Isco wasn't coming. I did so coyly because I anticipated the rage of fans who have come to adore KDB (understandably so) and as fate would have it I woke up one day to realize that Bernado had signed up for us out of the blue. I make no bones, I was almost in tears that day as I was just handed a summer present - my secret wish all along. I've said far too much so I'd just drop my pen right away. I say Welcome Rick Slick, Welcome Bernado!

Thanks pally. That was most enlightening and welcome to bluemoon. Hope you stay here much longer. You have basically mirrored my every thought regarding Bernardo including his downside from the limited number of times I've seen him compared to you who have watched him since he was very young. A lot of folks thought he was going to be in competition with Sterling but I knew deep down that Pep just got himself an Iniesta (I made mention of this in an earlier post). I love KDB and I feel he has given up a lot of his natural game for he team and for this I will ever be grateful to him. But if there is anybody more suited to play this role - it's going to be Bernado. In fact I don't mind pushing KDB upfield to be an inside forward with a Walker supplying width but this guy is our new Iniesta. In previous posts I coyly suggested we go for Bernado when Isco looked uncertain. That was before it became clear that Isco wasn't coming. I did so coyly because I anticipated the rage of fans who have come to adore KDB (understandably so) and as fate would have it I woke up one day to realize that Bernado had signed up for us out of the blue. I make no bones, I was almost in tears that day as I was just handed a summer present - my secret wish all along. I've said far too much so I'd just drop my pen right away. I say Welcome Rick Slick, Welcome Bernado!

Hehe, no worries. I'l try to stick around as I'll be supporting you guys next seasons.

Another very good insightful post on Bernardo Silva, Rick Silck. Just from the limited time I have seen of him he looks the business and I am looking forward to seeing him playing for City.

Last edited:
Simply put, Bernardo is the most talented Portguese player of this generation. Most here agree that he's more talented than Ronaldo (work ethics and athleticism + a good coach in Ferguson got Cristiano where he is more so than raw talent). Will he turn out too be as good or achieve as much? I don't know, mainly because of his position on the field, which is relatively low-profile and not that of a serial goal scorer. Nor is Bernardo that kind of player, mind. He's an Iniesta (whom I think's a better player than Ronaldo anyway, so yeah, it's confusing).

I first got to watch him at our academy in Seixal, he was always the stand out player. Like it's been quoted in some story posted here, because he's so small, he developed some incredible dribbling and ball possession skills to even it out against the bulkier guys. I've never seen a player like him come from Portuguese youth ranks - he's a Cantera kind of guy, one you'd expect to come from, say, Barça's La Masia. He's a Guardiola type of player if I've seen one. The comparisons with David Silva are reasonable and logical, think he can learn a lot from the spaniard. I think the old technique vs strength adagio applies - his skill will compensante his small size in the Prem. A bit like David, Kevin and Coutinho are any defence's nightmare.

One thing Bernardo will be helpful at is opening spaces. Not just because of his incisive and clinical through balls, but because whenever he runs upfield with the ball on his feet, he seems to attrack defenders like a magnet, all trying to dispossess him (and failing) - suddenly, they've been compromised and all caught out of position. I can already see this happening, him galloping through the middle with the ball attached to him, attracting CBs and FBs alike while guys like Sane make a run for it on the sides, which have been left completely open. I think it's this traait that has motivated the comparisons to Messi.

That said, his stats are misleading. He might have had 10 or so assists, but Bernardo assists the assists, and that is not taken into account. He's a creative midfielder more than an offencive one, to be fair. Which makes the amount of goals scored even more impressive. A trademark Bernardo play goes something like this:

- Receives the ball from CB or defencive midfielder.
- Progresses upfield with the ball attached to his left foot while attracting every defender.
- Passes to one of the wings or full backs, if they're on the attack.
- Winger/Full Back assists.

He can do much more, of course, including a more possession based sort football instead of all-out counter attacking like they did at Monaco. One thing which is noticeable from his videos is how he times everything perfectly, and knows how and when to pass the ball back if there are no viable options up front. He just won't give pocession away, and that's something that pleases Pep. Pep would rather see the ball go all the way back to the goalkeeper than losing because of some silly, badly measured pass.

He's also good defensively, he backtracks a lot and from time to time even gets the ball back. The fact that he backtracks probably has more to do with the way he plays, though, since he likes to progress from his own mid field. Oh, and I don't think he'll always last the full 90 minutes. You should take that into account and get used quickly. Perhaps with time he'll gain more stamina, but asking 90' Premier League minutes out of him is still too much.

Hope I was able to help. Perhaps a mod would like to move this to the Bernardo thread? Don't want to be off-topic.

Going to class now, I'll answer later. :)

That's fantastic, thanks for another most informative post.

I certainly see his long term future as the replacement for our own little genius, David Silva. Our performance falls off a cliff when he doesn't play. He knits the whole team together and dictates the tempo of our play. We don't have another player in that position who can do that to anything like the same level.

I'm sure Bernado will get many opportunities to play in the middle, both alongside Silva, and stepping in to replace him on occasion.

However, my initial thoughts are that Bernado will probably play wide right for us in a 433. David Silva and DeBruyne complement each other so well as number 8s, and neither are really suited to playing wide in a 433 as they don't have the pace in David's case, or technique in DeBruyne's case to beat a full back 1 on 1 from a standing start.

Bernado does seem to have the attributes to play wide right in a 433. Great pace, great technique and ability to beat a full back and obviously a great eye for a final pass or shot.

I'm hoping he could be our Eden Hazard for the next couple of years while David keeps the seat warm for him in the middle. Do you think Bernardo is capable of playing that role? Is he direct enough to play as a winger in that 433 shape?

On another note, I've heard there are quotes from Bernado saying he's a "special fan" of David Silva. Have you heard Bernado talking of David? And how would you compare them as players? There are obviously lots of similarities, but it would be interesting to see how you think they compare and contrast.

It seems you are almost desperate to find an issue with the lad?

Not in the slightest....What is wrong with knowing a players weaknesses as well as their strengths anyway?

If I said he isn't good in the air, that'd be fine right? but say he doesn't have the greatest stamina and "ohhh no, how dare you"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.