Welcome Kalvin Phillips | Signing confirmed on a 6 year deal

Anyway what’s Gyabi like? Ready for the 1st team of a team hoping for 13th-16th?
I don't think there's many who will have seen enough of him to make a judgment, we have a few on here who regularly get to the youth games so hopefully they'll see your post and let you know.

Really great article on Kalvin from The Athletic today. https://theathletic.com/3389376/202...illips-story-a-leeds-boy-who-became-a-legend/

“You’d go and watch games or training sessions and he stood out straight away because of his hair — this massive afro,” says Matt Downing, a player in Leeds’ academy until 2020. “He used to wear these red and white CTRs (football boots made by Nike). It’s the image that sticks in my head — that, and him always smiling. You never saw him unhappy. His smile’s an infectious thing.”

When Phillips first broke into the first team, Downing had the job of cleaning those boots.

“He gave me £250 for Christmas,” Downing says. “I thought that was a sweet tip from somebody who probably wasn’t earning big money from his first pro deal.”

Downing suffered badly from injuries and spent months with metalwork in his left leg to fix a badly broken bone. It became customary to see him climbing gingerly up and down staircases at Thorp Arch, forever in rehab and waiting for a change in luck.

“I don’t know Kalvin personally, in the sense that we’re not close friends, but that was a difficult period for me and he’d always take the time to ask how I was doing,” Downing says. “That was true of other players too, but I know what football can be like — when it starts going really well, you can become a bit big for your boots. It never happened with him.

Last edited:
I am hoping we get the Championship player as he was worth it, the EPL has been a hard learning curve for the leeds players, the high octane tactics that worked so well fell apart, due to coming up against faster more technically adept players, the team lost confidence lost belief , fitness and injuries hit all players,Phillips was poor last season, maybe he just could not carry everyone? like i said i hope he regains his form from the Championship. good luck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.