Welcome Mateo Kovacic | Signing confirmed on a four-year deal

I wanted us to sign this guy when he left Madrid. He is good on the ball, tough as nails, sees a pass and he is a winner. He will fit us like a glove. Can't wait to see him on the left of midfield.

This is just meant to be an analytical post on signing Kovacic. Obviously very happy he's a blue and will support him like any other player.

At £25m it seems almost 'risk-free'. For that price, we're getting a player who's been involved in one of the greatest squads in history (Madrid 2016-2018). The experience he adds to the squad/younger players will clearly be a benefit and he's still at a nice age where he has 5+ good years left in him.

I'm not convinced he's as good as his honours record suggests (for example, in his 4 UCL finals he only played around 30 minutes in total). Zidane used him as a sub late on in most games (preferring Kroos, Modric and Casemeiro). He doesn't score or assist that many (in 221 Chelsea appearances he scored 6 / in 109 Madrid appearances he scored 3).

Obviously, his role is more defensive, and seeing as Pep doesn't trust KP yet, it makes sense that Kovacic will offer Rodri more rest/rotation. However, N'Golo Kante has just signed in Saudi Arabia on a free transfer and was a significantly better CDM than Kovacic (but perhaps his age/injuries were a contributing factor). There were rumours about Kimmich too, who seems a more obvious choice for a Guardiola team.

Let's see how much Pep influences his performances going forward. I do think this is a good transfer but I'd like to see a proper Gundogan replacement (who's most comfortable breaking down a low-block and who contributes to attacking play) - I'm not convinced Rice is that player either - but what do I know... In Pep we trust!

I assume the creative team on social media just packed it in and thought they'd peaked when Grealish signed

Kovačić, Kovačić, Kovačić is back,
Stones on his shoulder as a matter of fact,
Kovačić, Kovačić, cos he's better than you,
It's the way that he moves, forever a Blue... oh-oh-oh

Great midfield player! Also has lots of experience, I think he will be an important part next season!.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.