Wembley 99 Play Off final - 25th Anniversary

An interesting one for me,born near Gillingham, followed them for 20+ years before moving to Manchester in 2001 and now visit the Etihad weekly flying the drone over.

Where were you? At Wembley
What did you think at 2-0? Was sat in shock that we was going to beat The mighty City
Did you think it was too late at 2-1? I hoped so
How wild did you celebrate the Dickov equaliser? I didnt.
Did you think we’d win the shoot out? Absolutely, the equaliser killed off any hope we had, then Adrian Pennock tried to clear the stadium roof.
We lost but was an epic game to be at, 12 months later we was back beating Wigan in the 2000 play off final which ironically is where i now live.

Was in the Gillingham end after buying tickets (off an Arsenal fan living in Kent) outside Wembley. Stewards said "hide your colours" but the Gillingham fans didn't care, many of them were at their first match having a day out in London and were benevolently amused at the idea of someone coming from the U.S. just for a football match. At 0-2 down I thought City were destined to become like Blackpool or Preston, a once great force in football now likely to languish in the lower reaches. Got up and left, ignoring the "It's alright, it's only a game" from the Gillingham family next to us. Missed both the Horlock and Dickov goals and watched extra time and the penalties in a Wembley pub. After that came the perfectly joyous minutes of standing in the queue at Wembley Central for the train back into London singing "you can stick your f***ing treble up your arse!" In such a daze that got on a train going in the wrong direction and couldn't get off till Rugby, yet coming back two hours later there were still happy Blues cavorting around on the platforms at Watford and Euston.

Thirteen years later when Dzeko scored v. QPR I said to my brother "Kevin Horlock" ...

Was in the Gillingham end after buying tickets (off an Arsenal fan living in Kent) outside Wembley. Stewards said "hide your colours" but the Gillingham fans didn't care, many of them were at their first match having a day out in London and were benevolently amused at the idea of someone coming from the U.S. just for a football match. At 0-2 down I thought City were destined to become like Blackpool or Preston, a once great force in football now likely to languish in the lower reaches. Got up and left, ignoring the "It's alright, it's only a game" from the Gillingham family next to us. Missed both the Horlock and Dickov goals and watched extra time and the penalties in a Wembley pub. After that came the perfectly joyous minutes of standing in the queue at Wembley Central for the train back into London singing "you can stick your f***ing treble up your arse!" In such a daze that got on a train going in the wrong direction and couldn't get off till Rugby, yet coming back two hours later there were still happy Blues cavorting around on the platforms at Watford and Euston.

Thirteen years later when Dzeko scored v. QPR I said to my brother "Kevin Horlock" ...
Reading your last sentence has made me realise that we’re nearly as far away from Agüeroooooooooo! as Agüerooooooooo! was from that playoff final.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.