Wembley Memories from 1999 Play-off final

hitRECORDSam

Mad day. Was only 11 at the time and we were heading on holiday the following morning so I was absolutely knackered when I got back home. Remember the weather being absolutely shit in the smoke and I was perched on one of those God-forbidden seats with no backs to them up our end. So when Gillingham went 2-0 up it seemed like the icing on a cake full of shit.

Almost walked out when their second went in but the pandemonium when Dickov scored, for me, is still unrivalled even compared to Goater's goal against the Rags.

Some of my dad's mates left early, heard the roars from the stadium but walked on, thinking it was 3-1 Gillingham. Then some guy was running back past them (who had left even earlier - he must have sprinted!!) and shouted "It's 2-2!!" and they legged it back together!

Anyone got any memorable tales from that day?

Thank God for Mark Halsey :D

I remember getting pissed wet through and no voice left at the end of the day!!

Remember our 52 seater coach stopping at an off licence not long after leaving Wembley car park on the way home. Needless to say, liberties were taken by certain individuals. The fact that cases of lager were stacked just inside the door, didn't help the shop owners cause.

Wasn't even there ;(

Booked a holiday after the York away game to Tunisia with my wife. Then City do the City thing!!!!!!!

At that time sky sports 1 & 3 were available but not 2 (think that was the way it was) my only contact with home was 2 tasty topless Gills birds at our hotel via their mobi to someone at home who was texting scores.

As the afternoon wore on it was all doom and gloom for me. We got our first goal and looking at the time I thought that was that. We then scored again in what I'd guessed was the 10th minute of injury time.

At that point they pissed off to get ready to go out at night. Everyone I knew at home who was into football and would know what had happened were at the game.

It was nine o'clock before I found out. Then it was party time in an All-inclusive hotel...... very sore head the following day.

Walking out when fat bob scored, walking up wembley way when telling myself 'thats it - im done', cheers (of the mancunian kind) hit my lugs, steam back to where i came out, throw a cocksniff steward west (he actually thought he could stop 20 of us), leg it to the aisle where my seat was and this little lad is bawling his eyes out, i pick him up, tell him we are gonna score and 'BANG', i throw the kid up in the air, forget to catch him with the excitement and go nuts.

Saw the kid hobbling after the game, bless.

Left at 2-0 saw a few bins being booted and a Gillingham coach being eyed up. Heard the cheers making it 2-1 and thought typical City. In the car, commentary on, Dickov scored, handbrake turn, left car in side street ,legged it up nearest stairs with 100s of others! Happy days........

Sat with my head in my hands at 0-2 just thinking...you fucking bastards...Horlocks goal just made me angrier...and then...without a doubt the most exhilarating experience I have had at a football match...who cares it was a playoff for the chance to crawl out of old div 2...this...this moment put every single year of misery into one giant ball of joy...it was ecstacy...pure and simple.

never again will a manchester city game hurt like it that day

every bit of me was done in could not move when we was 2 down just sit in my seat head in hands our kid was pulling at me come on am going home

NOPE im never going back to manchester with them scum winning the trebble
and us losing a 3rd divison play off final it would be hell
anyway just when our kid tried for the 10th time come on going home
we score i still had my head in hand i said who scored for us kevin horlock he said

and well next thing about 20 odd fans on top of me we done it dicky has done it you could not write a story like that day and sell it like a Mills & Boon book

like i said the hurt i was feeling will stay with me for every
the joy or glory of a 3rd divison play off final win will never again happen (i hope) to our great club and fans

Blue Tooth said:
Sat with my head in my hands at 0-2 just thinking...you fucking bastards...Horlocks goal just made me angrier...and then...without a doubt the most exhilarating experience I have had at a football match...who cares it was a playoff for the chance to crawl out of old div 2...this...this moment put every single year of misery into one giant ball of joy...it was ecstacy...pure and simple.

Had virtually the same experience. My reaction to Horlock's goal was identical. Suppressed fury. How many times had I seen us flatter to deceive and just pull one back?! Dozens. I only didn't leave cos I was just too depressed to move. The worst I had ever felt at a football match. Contrasted nicely then with Dickov's goal, which was the best I'd ever felt! I remember half checking my celebratory roar as I thought the Gillingham defender sliding across had blocked it, and then I saw it hit the back of the net and went totally apeshit. Ended up 6 rows down and about 12 seats across jumping up and down with some Blue in a sheepskin coat. 'Yes, yes, yes, yes', on and on it went and then the loudest 'You're not singing anymore' I've ever heard in my life. Fantastic.

I was at a football tournament in Lytham.
I had had a stinking first half in one of the games and as we got to half time one of the parents told me we were 2 down....(my parents were at Wemb)
My bottom lip starts going(im 15 at the time) during our half time team talk, and BOOM, the flood gates open and im sobbing like a little girl.
My manager pulls me to one side and says something along the lines of, "go and use this emotion and win us this game"....
So, with me being upset/pissed off and with my head up my arse, i actually play fucking brilliantly and we win the game comfortably.. Full time whistle goes and the parent gives me the 2-1 sign..... SO I LEG IT TO THE CLUB HOUSE JUST IN TIME FOR DICKOVS GOAL...!!!!!!
then me and a few other city fans watched the rest of it and finish off with doing a Weaver-esque run all around the clubhouse!!
HAPPY DAY AFTER ALL!!!
COME ON CITY!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.