Wembley Memories from 1999 Play-off final

Left from Stretford on a coach early in the morning from the (labour club ?)
Chap on the coach had enough special brew to sink a ship.
Remember the pouring rain and going in a working mens club in Harrow before the game.
It rained that heavy the locals were telling us the game might get called off.

At 2-0 down everone was dejected and thought it was typical city.
Horlock scored and we thought it was a consalation and we were never going to get out of this league.
When Dicky scored everyone went mental and I ended up 10 rows further down the stand.The emotion was out of this world
Knew we would do it from there ,though penalties were really nerving.
After the game was stuck in the Wembley car park for hours so missed last orders .

Needed a pint so had a Chinese in town and saw loads of blues roaming around with big grins

hitRECORDSam said:
Anyone know how Jeff Whitley's doing after his drink and drug abuse?
Isn't he working at the Car Supermarket or something in Stockport? Or is that his 'getaway driver' brother Jim?

Anyhoo...
I WAS at Wembley 99 and not one of your 'I wasn't born but I'll pretend I was there to look fookin popular-ists'....

Travelled on the train the day before, in full swing with many blues onboard; much alcohol imibed.
Landed in That London and started proceedings meeting up with the Danish Blue contingent at the old Terry Neill's bar on Holborn before perusing a few of London's hostelries and then settling on a mega take-out from Tescos where we were the first to settle on Trafalgar Square (a day early)...

Many other blues got wind of this; the coppers just kept driving round and round in a circle but didn't stop or bother anybody, the atmosphere was excellent. By 11pm a few of us (including me) ended up jumping in the fountains (as you do)...

Travelled back on the Tube to MLI's house (remember her!!) in Walthamstow, got some kip and up early for the big day on the Sunday.
Off we went to the pub on Baker St (what was it called...arrgh!) for meetup with other blues before we hotfooted it up to Wembley.

Yes, it was a shithole. No, I didn't care and just enjoyed actually being there.

2-0 up. I just sat down in my seat; head in my hands. VERY FEW people actually left - none near us to the best of my recollections. We were in the old B block near the tunnel.

Horlock scored. I turned to my friends and went "oh well, consolation goal eh"

Dicky equalised. We went fookin mental. I can't describe how you can go from the depressed state to one of total elation from ANY other City game I have attended in 32 years...
I too, fell down in between the seats and got a right nasty old bruise to my leg, covering my whole thigh. I didn't care.

Then the penalties ensued....my god will Richard Edghill ACTUALLY take one? AND SCORE IT?
FOOK!!!!
You know the rest....but, if I see either a) Dicky's goal or b) Weaver's celebration after saving Skeletor's penalty I nearly do a girly sex wee and go goose bumpy every time!

Best day of my life. No question.

And I'm not even going on Saturday!!!
(I've given my ticket to my nephew; it's his turn now but he can fook off for the final...IT'S MINE! hehe!)

I even have an entire photo album dedicated to this day; how my camera survived (a FILM one back then!) I'll never know, but all the pics were intact and there to see forever!

I was 6 at the time and all I can remember was just sitting next to my dad going absolutely mental when Dickov's goal went in, and the pure joy at the incredible comeback! The next thing i can remember was seeing Nicky Weaver pegging it round Wembley with the old man in shock!

This was what did it for me, at the age where I was just about coming around, the blue was in the blood and i'd never forget this day!

From that day on, I've never looked back!

Memories I have - 19 at the time so can remember quite a bit - catching the train from Picadilly about 7am, full of blues with flags.
Sat opposite a girl and her Dad with a flag.
Got to Wembley - walked around abit -blues everywhere.
Got to our seats and 10 minutes in a man started on another bloke in front of me and started chinning him - stewards rushed in and ejected him.
At 2-0 we stayed, we never left till the end and this was no exception although we were gutted, tears in my eyes -Dad couldn't look at me.
Next thing, Horlock equaliser - small glimmer of hope - didn't see the extra time board go up and the clock stopped at 90 minutes - that time just seemed to go on forever - then Dickov scores and just mayhem everywhere.
The penalties - the amazing joy at the end - no one wanting to leave at the end - everyone dancing like crazy to Status Quo - leaving Wembley with it kicking off. Getting back on the train and the little girl we had sat opposite on the way down was there with her Dad but he flag was snapped in half . Her Dad had snapped in at 2 nil .
Memories are amazing of the best day of my life that I shared with my Dad and sadly as he's passed away now they are amazing memories of a very special day out together that supporting City gave me and that's why City mean so much to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.