Wembley Memories from 1999 Play-off final

I can't really remember a lot, with being 4 at the time. I had no idea what this game meant to everyone stood around me: heads in hands and arms out, pleading with 'City' to 'get their act together.' The emotions running through those around me were not going through my head at all. I knew a lot of people were there, but the pain they felt was not felt by me. I was too busy throwing menus at my dad and drinking water, as I wasn't allowed cola.

I can remember the moment Dickov scored; I'll never remember seeing the ball hit the back of the net on the big television, and I'll never remember my mum's immediate reaction - but I do remember the reaction of the bloke stood behind me.

When Dickov scored, a huge cheer sprung up behind me. My mum was crying all over the place, and a fair few beer glasses flew across the room - I was completey surprised. I wasn't disturbed or upset as such, but I couldn't fully understand what was going on.

Anyway, a bloke, who I'd never met (and who I haven't seen since) lofted me into the air and turned me around so that he could look at me. He looked into my eyes as if I was his own child. There were tears falling down his face and onto the floor. He hugged me tight and handed me back to my mum, and apologised for taking hold of me and startling her.

But that man's tears are the reason I'm a City fan now. City mean more to a City fan than United mean to a United fan, or more than Arsenal mean to an Arsenal fan etc.

I've been a blue ever since.

MCFC BOB said:
I can't really remember a lot, with being 4 at the time. I had no idea what this game meant to everyone stood around me: heads in hands and arms out, pleading with 'City' to 'get their act together.' The emotions running through those around me were not going through my head at all. I knew a lot of people were there, but the pain they felt was not felt by me. I was too busy throwing menus at my dad and drinking water, as I wasn't allowed cola.

I can remember the moment Dickov scored; I'll never remember seeing the ball hit the back of the net on the big television, and I'll never remember my mum's immediate reaction - but I do remember the reaction of the bloke stood behind me.

When Dickov scored, a huge cheer sprung up behind me. My mum was crying all over the place, and a fair few beer glasses flew across the room - I was completey surprised. I wasn't disturbed or upset as such, but I couldn't fully understand what was going on.

Anyway, a bloke, who I'd never met (and who I haven't seen since) lofted me into the air and turned me around so that he could look at me. He looked into my eyes as if I was his own child. There were tears falling down his face and onto the floor. He hugged me tight and handed me back to my mum, and apologised for taking hold of me and startling her.

But that man's tears are the reason I'm a City fan now. City mean more to a City fan than United mean to a United fan, or more than Arsenal mean to an Arsenal fan etc. I've been a blue ever since.

Sent shivers down my spine that last bit BOB..

remember telling my daughter at 2 - 0 down we would be back the next year with tears running down her face

the rest is history

I walked out after they went 2 - 0 up, bins being kicked etc......there was a woman crying going through the exit gate and i put my arm around her and said "dont worry love no matter what happens we still love them". She just smiled and went on her way, just then Horlock scored and i saw her run back in. I carried on to the coach thinking it was to late. I was sat on the coach when i noticed people running past back to the ground, then the coach drivers were beeping their horns. That was it, i legged it back to the ground and luckily they let me back in - well me and the other few hundred who were rattling the big gates. I found my seat and my friends faces were beaming. The rest is a bit of a blur really, but i never had that feeling of when Dickov scored. My friends tried to explain and i have watched it on video but because i walked out i never felt that surge of emotion. Because of that i have never left early again and always stay till the final whistle. What a day........

stayed till the end,basked in all the glory,got 1 of Andy Morrisons boots,then back to the hotel and all the players and officials were at the same hotel as us so we were on the piss all night with some of the players and Mark Halsey.A day i will never forget

Got a ticket easy thru a supporters club!! Travelled down on the coach with them stopped at Wembley FC Social club?! drank a lot... A mate convinced me to leave at 2 nil... luckily got back in as stewards were trying to lock the gates. Then don't really remember much apart from looking thru my fingers during the penalties, then waiting in the ground looking around and seeing fans crying tears of joy! Weird day but a great day.

Aged 5, so pretty vague memories. Remember driving up with my dad, his mate and his wife. Remember the souvenir shop which was packed too. All I remember from the actual match was 1-0 down - tears. 2-0 down, I was a right state and no one could really say anything to help. We got 1 back but it didn't really change much, except my dad and a few other blues around me saying 'come on lad, chin up we'll do it'. Dickov's equaliser is probably my best childhood memory. And then I remember Dickov's post-post penalty and Weaver saving his, and the tears were still coming out. I don't even know if winning the FA Cup or league will overtake this as my favourite City moment.

Family members live in Coventry and recorded the game for me. I was on the Hollinwood branch coach.
Rang family up and the met us at Corley Sevices with the tape wound forward to a minute before Gills scored the first goal..... watched the rest of the game all the way home...other coaches passing us and all pointing saying ''they've got the game on!!'' and wondering how.
Also took my 7 year old daughter.... she was knackered after such a long day (we left at 6.30am) and trying to get to sleep and during the penalty shoot out (watching on the coach), she said ''dad, can you ask them to stop cheering loudly!!''

Great day!

jacko8684 said:
I was at a football tournament in Lytham.
I had had a stinking first half in one of the games and as we got to half time one of the parents told me we were 2 down....(my parents were at Wemb)
My bottom lip starts going(im 15 at the time) during our half time team talk, and BOOM, the flood gates open and im sobbing like a little girl.
My manager pulls me to one side and says something along the lines of, "go and use this emotion and win us this game"....
So, with me being upset/pissed off and with my head up my arse, i actually play fucking brilliantly and we win the game comfortably.. Full time whistle goes and the parent gives me the 2-1 sign..... SO I LEG IT TO THE CLUB HOUSE JUST IN TIME FOR DICKOVS GOAL...!!!!!!
then me and a few other city fans watched the rest of it and finish off with doing a Weaver-esque run all around the clubhouse!!
HAPPY DAY AFTER ALL!!!
COME ON CITY!!

Thats the biggest load of bullshit ive heard, how long do you play, 2 minutes a half?!

Loads of memories .....

Sipping diet coke and water with the worst hangover of my life as we had been out in Camden Town the night before
Seeing one of the most blatant handballs in the first minute and staring in disbelief as the game carried on
Watching Big Fat Bob and Osaba put the Gills 2-0 and thinking, "thats the first time they've made any noise"
Getting angry when Horlock scored as I remember shouting "we can't even lose properly ... I want to go home and you're making me stay."
When Dickov shot, I can still clearly see Bartram just flop to one side and I thought "he's letting it go wide to waste time .." and then it hit the back of the net.
Pandemonium as I smash my legs to pieces on the crappy wooden seats, holding onto my mate for dear life as we fall over the seats in front
Looking at Weaver as a young man waving to the City crowd as getting us all up for it, whilst Bartram looked nervous ..... at that point I knew we would win the pens

Finally and brilliantly, bumping into Brian Horton outside Wembley afterwards and all bowing down to him ...... he said the fans deserved it.

A great day and part of our history that will never be forgotten - its what makes us City fans - something United fans will never grasp as they reach for their Sky remote.

Come on City ......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.