West Ham (H) - Post-Match Thread

A bit of a stroll against a dismally unambitious WHU side and an easy, if unspectacular, win and three more points in the bag. It was good to be focusing on football again tonight but, for me, Pep’s post-match comments (which I’ve just heard) are the highlight of evening.

One dreadfully boring game of football, West Ham absolutely dreadful. Our passing well below the standards we have set in previous seasons an Jesus despite his work rate was awful when the chances came his way. Champions League not a cat in hells chance.
Only boring because West Ham made it boring & just got players behind the ball.
We did actually create alot of chances but poor finishing let us down. On another day we could have scored 5 or 6 & yes Champions league is a reel possibility.

Dear David Moyes, to actually win a game of football you first have to try.

It really should have been 5 or 6 but a win is a win so I'll settle for that along with a clean sheet. Hope Dave is okay and it's just a tightness or impact injury. Not groin related I hope as he was looking rather prominent when he came off the pitch.

I was just gonna start of with 'a win's a win'! We play the perfect game and then add another touch, or another pass and perfection crumbles. We should indeed have been three up with the first half hour, and West Ham offered almost less than nothing. Booting the ball forward to see what might happen doesn't make me wonder why they are in such a pickle. They were only gonna score if they were gifted the chance -either by the ref our one of ours. But the three points will be very useful!

I thought the atmosphere in the first half was very good. A bit more subdued second half but boy what a reception for the Zabman. Excellent, well done everyone.

I think there were many reasons for the poorish turn out: half term, absolutely horrendous traffic, rearranged match, people turning back and going home after being stuck.
I was told that one of the mascots took 4 hrs to get there because of an accident and only got there just before kick off. The Eccles coach ended up doing a tour of Manchester, trying (not always succeeding) to get round the traffic & we missed kick off. Only by about a minute or so but a couple of stewards were telling me that a lot of people had told them they’d been stuck as well.
I quite enjoyed the game. It was a training game really. :-)

If you wanted to grumble you could say we should have done better with our opportunities.

West Ham look doomed.

Shame about the attendance, lots of traffic problems resulting in people missing half the game and/or turning round and going home, the West Ham lower tier was about a quarter full which just about summed it up.

Easy 3 points, I have to say I thought West Ham were a disgrace, in the bottom 3 yet never even tried to attack us, and it’s not like they are saving themselves for an easier game at weekend, they’ve got the scousers away, lol.

Moyes is a twat.

I enjoyed that. Nice to just boss a game again. Mendy's continued improvement is a big plus and Laporte being back is a good thing. Otamendi when he doesn't make errors is a class act for the most part.

I really rate Jesus on the whole, but he has to improve his finishing - over the last 3 seasons in the league, he's scored 12 goals less than the average PL striker would have from the shots he's taken (xG data from Understat.com). Compare that to Sergio, who's 5 better than average over that period. And Sterling's still under performing in this category as well - he's 2 goals worse than average, whereas Sane was almost 7 better than average the last 2 years.

I'm convinced it's a confidence thing. Sané and Aguero play with supreme confidence, whereas Sterling and Jesus sometimes seem to get stuck in their own heads at times. It's definitely something that needs addressing eventually, because whilst they're both excellent prospects who will almost certainly succeed in their careers regardless, we'd want them to reach their fullest potential. My hope is that the two of them will end up better players for these troubles, but it does rely on them getting past them.

Sorry to keep boring you but...... we talk about our club being a family club and I have always felt like that but tonight on the way home I was thinking about it. Bear with me!
As I’ve said in another post I was late tonight and the number of stewards and fans who said to me they were worried about me and wondering where I was was very heartening. Daft I know but it just proved that we are still (and always will be) the best team/club in the land, in all the world. Sorry to bore you.

Last edited:
Redknapp (sick note) stole a living as a footballer -now he is doing it as a pundit

the only good thing about Redknapp was his ex misses!
Useless & biased against us as a pundit, but i thought he was a quality player mate? & injuries stopped him being even better

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.