What’s the best musical you have ever seen?

Hello Dolly
Book of Mormon
Little Shop of Horrors
Oliver
Fiddler
Barnum with Micheal Crawford

All the hyped stuff is almost always shite
Cats (?!?)
Starlight Express (ridiculous)
Les Mis (boring and incomprehensible)
Rent (worst of the lot)
Moulin Rouge (zzz)
Miss Saigon (just terrible)
Phantom isn’t too bad.

I enjoyed Hamilton, but thought it was far from the best thing I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
I take my poor mother to see all the big musicals that come to Dublin. I’ve pretty much seen them all.

Best: Fiddler, The Producers, JC Superstar, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Worst: Miss Saigon, Mama Mia, some Motown rubbish.

And the Book of Mormon hasn’t dated very well.

Book of Mormon is brilliant. But does it count as a proper musical if it's a work of satire?
I don't see why not. But as far as I know, it's not actually satirizing musicals themselves, it's just a musical that happens to be satirizing religion. I might be wrong. As I said, I haven't seen it.

Agree with that. I worked at the Palace Theatre one summer in the 80’s. Saw many shows but Blood Brothers was easily the best. Been back three times over the years and it’s changed a bit but still excellent.
It always touched me becasue it's such a funny, old fashioned. working class, British story. Willie Russell is a genius - as are plenty of other writers, I know, but, he really had his finger right on the pulse SO often. (And one of the Nolan's was always in 1 of the 3 produtions I've seen over the years. And they were always very good.)

It always touched me becasue it's such a funny, old fashioned. working class, British story. Willie Russell is a genius - as are plenty of other writers, I know, but, he really had his finger right on the pulse SO often. (And one of the Nolan's was always in 1 of the 3 produtions I've seen over the years. And they were always very good.)

The first time I saw it Peter Capaldi was in it along with two McGann brothers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.