What age would you let your son have a couple of drinks at his mate’s sleepover?

Don't have kids myself, but I know with my folks they tolerated stuff when I was 16. In fact when I started to go to parties at that time they would buy me the booze, enough to have a good time, but not enough to get wasted on. I guess it was a sign of trust in me from them. If I had kids, I'd probably do the same as I turned out alright.

On paper this would be my answer. Send a 16 year old with a 4 pack of something shit like Carling. I was an early starter unfortunately and was on my face in a garden border from Scotch aged 14. Not regularly but that was my first time. However, it did mean that when we got to 16-17 and everyone was having their stomach pumped out due to overdoing vodka on a first time to show off, I was not involved and had already been there, got the shirt and thrown up on it once or twice.

I was drinking white lightning in the park age 13/14, my lad turned 16 last week, I let him have a few beers a month or so ago when he slept at his mates I bought him 4 bottles of Estrella.

I think its more about trust, ive always said to him no matter what he does or what happens when he's around as long as he's honest with me then we can deal with anything, I like to think that he's taken that on board and realises trust is earned

16. As many have suggested a 4 pack would be fine for an evening and trust is important as kids know then not to take the P*ss.

I was fortunate I wasn't too keen on booze at that age, I went to monthly house parties but I was more in to playing football and running. Some of the people I know who drank early have aged like milk as they continued in heavily in to uni and work life.

Right - she texts me while I'm at work yesterday to spring it on me. We've known all weekend that he's kipping at his mate's. He's 13 years old. She says "How would you feel about him having a couple of fruit ciders?"

I text back saying "Not good" and list my reasons. I then phone and explain why I don't want it to happen. I didn't know I was on speaker phone at the time and he could hear me so now I know that she's playing "good cop/bad cop". I say that I'm not happy and don't condone it at all.

I went back to my desk and text saying "Do what you think but I've made my feelings known and this is on you." I probably shouldn't have given her that wriggle room but I hated the fact she'd put me on the spot while I was at work and had seen my arse by that point.

I get home from work, she's now gone to work and he's already gone to his mate's.

We had a blazing row when she got home at 10 last night and I came back to work and slept here.

Right - she texts me while I'm at work yesterday to spring it on me. We've known all weekend that he's kipping at his mate's. He's 13 years old. She says "How would you feel about him having a couple of fruit ciders?"

I text back saying "Not good" and list my reasons. I then phone and explain why I don't want it to happen. I didn't know I was on speaker phone at the time and he could hear me so now I know that she's playing "good cop/bad cop". I say that I'm not happy and don't condone it at all.

I went back to my desk and text saying "Do what you think but I've made my feelings known and this is on you." I probably shouldn't have given her that wriggle room but I hated the fact she'd put me on the spot while I was at work and had seen my arse by that point.

I get home from work, she's now gone to work and he's already gone to his mate's.

We had a blazing row when she got home at 10 last night and I came back to work and slept here.
You are right pal, 13 is way to young to be allowing your kids to drink regardless of whether its fruit cider or not. Jesus, i wanted nothing more than footy and playing out at that age, booze wasn't even a consideration.

Both myself and my ex Mrs have let our two girls have a small glass of cider or small white wine with a Sunday roast since being 14. We discussed it before allowing as both of us were strictly not allowed alcohol so young, and we both used to drink to get drunk at 16 with friends behind our parents backs.

Thing is if you make alcohol taboo kids will want to try it more, and are more likely to want to try and get pissed with their mates in bravado. Both my daughters treat alcohol as no big deal nowadays and only have a glass or two at my house, and I think it's because they were both allowed a drink on social occasions from being young teenagers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.