What are you drinking right now?

• Thread starter dronefromsector7g
  • Start date
FromPollockToSilva said:
andyhinch said:
mr t said:
Starropramen - is that how you spell it?
Near enough, star of Prague I'm almost fuent:)

It's Czech for 'old source.' And it's not a great beer, although still a good few notches above most the crap lager served in the UK.

I believe that the Vratislav pictured above is also brewed by Staropramen, and is equally as unremarkable.

Unremarkable it is but at €1.29 a bottle it's still better than Bud,Fosters,Carling etc.

BlueMo' said:
FromPollockToSilva said:
andyhinch said:

It's Czech for 'old source.' And it's not a great beer, although still a good few notches above most the crap lager served in the UK.

I believe that the Vratislav pictured above is also brewed by Staropramen, and is equally as unremarkable.

Unremarkable it is but at €1.29 a bottle it's still better than Bud,Fosters,Carling etc.

Couldn't agree more, I used to partake regularly myself when I lived in the UK.

andyhinch said:
mr t said:

Actually it would usually translate as Old Spring.

It's a nice enough Czech beer but my favourites used to be Radegast, Krušovice and Velkopopovický Kozel. I also used to enjoy a beer called Samson when in Southern Bohemia but have never seen it elsewhere.

One of the joys of moving back to Europe is access to decent Czech beers again. Hope some of those are still going.

PhuketBlue said:
andyhinch said:
mr t said:

It's a nice enough Czech beer but my favourites used to be Radegast, Krušovice and Velkopopovický Kozel. I also used to enjoy a beer called Samson when in Southern Bohemia but have never seen it elsewhere.

One of the joys of moving back to Europe is access to decent Czech beers again. Hope some of those are still going.

When did you last drink in the Czech Republic? Radegast and Krušovice are pretty awful by Czech standards these days. Kozel's not a bad option for a factory brewery though, and in fact can be pretty good on its day.

Samson's not bad but still doesn't have much of a profile in the capital.

FromPollockToSilva said:
PhuketBlue said:
andyhinch said:

When did you last drink in the Czech Republic? Radegast and Krušovice are pretty awful by Czech standards these days. Kozel's not a bad option for a factory brewery though, and in fact can be pretty good on its day.

Lived there for quite a number of years but that would be around 15 years ago.

Radegast used to win many awards in those days. I see it was bought out by Pilsner Urquell/SAB Miller around that time. Not sure if this affected the quality but before that it was (along with Budvar, Kozel and Urquell) among the most highly sought after beers. Kozel and Krušovice in those days seemed to be the dominant beers in the old fashioned drinking bars in areas such as Smíchov and Žižkov (which are the main areas I lived and frequented). I loved the atmosphere in those places.

Obviously things have changed a great deal in that time but I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with Czech beer. Family life precludes me from being able to return there to live (for now at least) but hopefully I'll be able to sample some of them in the UK and fly over for a visit now and again. I do still miss the place.

Any recommendations (other than those mentioned) for highly rated Czech beers nowadays?

tumblr_mt0a2oieHr1qk0z6co1_500.gif

I'm having water

PhuketBlue said:
FromPollockToSilva said:
PhuketBlue said:

Lived there for quite a number of years but that would be around 15 years ago.

Radegast used to win many awards in those days. I see it was bought out by Pilsner Urquell/SAB Miller around that time. Not sure if this affected the quality but before that it was (along with Budvar, Kozel and Urquell) among the most highly sought after beers. Kozel and Krušovice in those days seemed to be the dominant beers in the old fashioned drinking bars in areas such as Smíchov and Žižkov (which are the main areas I lived and frequented). I loved the atmosphere in those places.

Obviously things have changed a great deal in that time but I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with Czech beer. Family life precludes me from being able to return there to live (for now at least) but hopefully I'll be able to sample some of them in the UK and fly over for a visit now and again. I do still miss the place.

Any recommendations (other than those mentioned) for highly rated Czech beers nowadays?

I have friends who lived here in the mid-90s (as well as older Czech acquaintances) who also vouch for the previous quality of Krušovice (less so Radegast), but sadly those days are in the past. A good Prazdroj from a tankovna is still a wondrous thing though. and Kozel and Budvar both still have their fans.

The Czech beer scene has been transformed over the last decade as the global craft brewing movement has taken hold here. Aside from a number of excellent brewpubs in Prague now, there is much greater distribution of established breweries like Svijany, Černá Hora, Klášter and many others, plus fantastic newcomers like Únětický pivovar, Kocour and Matuška. We're also seeing a trend of pubs stocking beers from multiple breweries, including some places with around 50 beers on tap.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.