What book are you reading now / or recommend?

chabal said:
paul.manc said:
Looking for something new- anyone read American Psyscho?

It's ok but I wouldn't read it twice. It successfully portrays young rich, young Americans as immoral, insensitive, obsessed with appearance and lacking any empathy with human beings. At times it is very funny.

It doesn't spare the detail when it comes to the murder scenes - if you're squeamish it isn't an easy read but then again it wasn't designed to be.

-- Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:47 pm --

roaminblue said:
This summer I seemed to read a load of books, its petered off a bit now as I'm busier. The.ones I read were:

The pillars of the earth - historical fantasy type book. Thoroughly enjoyed it. If you like this sort of thing is recommended it. It's very in depth, spans a number of generations and pretty Damn involving. Not usually my cup of tea, but a friend recommended it

Blink - about subconscious thought. Very interesting, offers anecdotes on how subconscious thought processes can be very reliable in some cases and tragically unreliable in others. Discusses learned responses which become instinctive and how over thinking problems can produce very mediocre results.

Freakanomics - interesting book about non financial economic research such as crime, abortion etc. Interesting, but I can't help but feel that the authors knew they were on to a formula and went s little ad nauseum.

City boy - awful awful book written for shock value. Author comes across as holier than thou and as being an immense hypocrite. If you like reading about investment bankers hoovering coke up their nose and shagging prostitutes then its for you. Financial football factory with probably very little verisimilitude.

Just started Daniel kahneman's New book. He writes a lot about human irrationality and cognitive impairment, so far excellent

Is the Daniel Kahnman book "Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow"? Brilliant book but boy does it require you to concentrate.

If it isn't what is it called and what is it about?

Yeah that's the one mate. " thinking, fast and slow" it is fascinating and you're right, a hard slog. Him and tversky did some great work together

I heard there was a decent sport psychology book,titled,The inner game of tennis written by a certain W Timothy Gallwey,which has 5 star reviews on Amazon.But I dont play tennis.I heard a professional musician named Barry Green,or maybe his disabled brother, had read his book,with admiration and wanted to collaborate on a new project titled the Inner Game of Music,using the same mind principles.I have spoken about this book to my eldest daughter and as its my birthday shortly,I know she has given me the opportunity to read it pretty soon.Both books sound admirable.

jamiegrimble said:
I heard there was a decent sport psychology book,titled,The inner game of tennis written by a certain W Timothy Gallwey,which has 5 star reviews on Amazon.But I dont play tennis.I heard a professional musician named Barry Green,or maybe his disabled brother, had read his book,with admiration and wanted to collaborate on a new project titled the Inner Game of Music,using the same mind principles.I have spoken about this book to my eldest daughter and as its my birthday shortly,I know she has given me the opportunity to read it pretty soon.Both books sound admirable.

I heard of this chap. He lectures at business schools if I'm not mistaken. Does look interesting. Though I think he's done one called the inner game of work? Id be slightly more drawn to that I think, but I'm purely basing that decision off the titles

Very recently finished a couple of fantasy novels that were very good.
The red knight by Miles Cameron.(actually Christian Cameron under slightly different name)
Malice by a new author called John Gwynne

edit.There is also an author Anthony Ryan who self published a book on kindle called Ravens Shadow which was excellent,and the first of a trilogy.He s since been picked up by a major publishing house.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.